Coast to coast

Thank you Hannah & Adam! Additionally, for a trip like this, do the pilot & co pilots do the entire trip together? Or does it change each flight?

Mikayla,

It really varies by operation and airline. On virtually all the trips I flew at both my Regional and my Major, I kept the same crew. However I do have friends at other carriers that seem to swap crew much more often. Particularly if they’re on Reserve.

Adam

I see. Thank you!

I always a little worried about being back out “on the road” but then I put it in perspective. When I was over the road trucking I was away from home 26 days a month, always worried about finding parking and a shower…and only $65k a year. Now local, home every night but just enough time to sleep, but $80k a year. I don’t need to chase the big bucks. Home/work balance is big, but flying is awesome, and make enough to not be panicking over every dollar spent.

Martin,

At the airlines you’ll have a minimum guarantee of 12 days off a month. That’s 18 days on the road worst case scenario. Plus the recent raises, starting FO pay is close to $100k.

Hannah

Yup. And having a slightly clearer picture of my schedule for a whole month would be nice too.

Now just to figure out the finances and logistics for my family and training.