College and flight school at the same time

Hello everyone,im currenly a college junior and do not graduate for about a year.Would i be able to start flight school now and attend college or will the flight school interfere with my college schedule.I would prefer to start now since i live at home and would like the oppuritunity to save as much as possible

Ashanti,

We always recommend finishing college first before enrolling in flight school. We have seen better success with this approach. Attempting to tackle both simultaneously will inevitably cause one or the other to suffer.

Plus, there is no guarantee that obtaining your PPL now will save you any money. It is actually more likely that it will cost you more money in the end. This is because a lot of the time flight schools will quote the bare minimum flight time that the FAA legally requires one to have to be eligible to obtain a PPL, but the fact of the matter is that most people require more flight time than the FAA minimum.

Also, once you obtain your PPL you will need to fly regularly to maintain your flight privileges. Plus, in order to be eligible for ATP’s Credit for Private program you will need to have not only your PPL, but also 78+ hours. So that needs to be factored in as well.

Flight training is expensive no matter how you look at it. The best way to save money for flight training is to just save money the old fashioned way and then put your savings towards flight training and/or living expenses once you are in training.

Thank you for your question and welcome to the forum!

Tory

Thank you for the great advice

1 Like

Ashanti,

Welcome to the forum.

Tory did a great job answering your questions. For now, focus on college and getting a good GPA. The degree and a strong GPA is essential for your future airline applications so think of it as building a strong foundation.

Save as much as you can along the way. Even if it’s just money for checkride fees, supplies or cash to live off of during the program. It will all help lighten the load when you apply for financing. Once you graduate, you can focus on the flight training aspect. That’s best to be done as your sole focus only, not in conjunction with any other responsibilities.

Check back in here if you have any more questions between now and then. That’s what we’re here for.

Hannah

Thanks Hannah