College Courses

Hi all,
I won’t be starting flight training until I graduate with my degree. For now, what classes could I take as general education courses in college that could give me a head start for flight training? My college isn’t an aviation college but I was thinking maybe some weather related courses.
In general, I’m thinking courses that, when I get into flight training, I’d say “huh, I remember learning a little about this in college”. Might make it a little easier while I’m waiting. Any thoughts?

Ben

Ben,

Great question. Many people think of the study math or science it’ll help but it really doesn’t. The fact is aviation is really very specific and I’m hard pressed to think of anything I use when flying that I learned outside of flying.

That said yes weather would definitely be helpful. Perhaps if there are any classes in leadership that might translate well? Hopefully others might chime in with more.

Adam

1 Like

Ben,
I think meteorology classes would be a huge help. Typically weather is a students weakest area of the ACS. Examiners know it takes a lot of knowledge to really understand weather patterns and the flight training version of weather is really just skimming the surface.
-Hannah

1 Like

Ben,

I can’t think of any college classes off the top of my head. Plus, you are going to get all of the training you need once in flight school. I would just pick whatever interests you whether that’s taking a class or joining an organization. You could work yourself up into a leadership role that way if you want to build more hands on leadership skills.

Tory

1 Like

Ben,

I was able to find a few aviation courses as electives. They may not directly apply to flight training, but they may serve to introduce you more to aviation concepts and ideas.

-Jack

1 Like

Ben,

I suppose some classes on weather might help, but I would not go terribly out of my way to take them. Aviation really is a stand alone field, very little of what is taught at a college relates to it.

Chris

1 Like