College or ATP First?

Hi!

Can I get some input and opinions about this. So I’m between 2 decisions:

• Going to ATP and then getting my bachelors degree
    OR
  • Going to college, getting a bachelors, then ATP

Which pathway is more preferable?

Tommy,

First I’m going to recommend you visit our FAQ section. We answer this and many only commonly asked questions and there’s bound to be others there you’re pondering.

Short answer is we always recommend college first. While we appreciate people are in a hurry, you’re young and have time. First it’s simply easier as you’re already in school mode and it’s easier just to keep going and finish up, than to try and return after. Second, it’s always a good idea to have a backup just in case aviation doesn’t work out for any reason. Finally, ATP is extremely challenging and many younger people simply aren’t ready for the level of commitment and dedication required.

Ultimately it’s your call but if you’re asking what’s preferable, finish school and get your degree.

Adam

1 Like

Tommy,

I am going to add my voice here and agree with Adam that college should come first. It is simply easier to go right from high school to college than it is to try to go back to college later. Also, flight students that are a little bit older tend to do better in flight training. I understand you want to get up in the air, but this is the path that we have seen work best for people.

Chris

1 Like

Tommy,

I also strongly encourage getting a four year degree first.

Another option would be to complete two years of college, then ATP, flight instruct, get hired by a regional, then finish your degree online while at a regional.

While I still think it’s better to just finish the complete four year degree before flight school, doing two years of college and then finishing later while at a regional could get you in the air 2 years sooner. You just need to have the honest conversation with yourself and decide if you are the type of person that would be able to hold yourself accountable and actually finish your four year degree after taking at least 2 years off to get all of your ratings and flight time.

Tory

1 Like

Thank you all for your advice! Much appreciated.

1 Like

I would definitely agree with all the mentor Pilots who commented above. In a weird way flight training has been like it’s own little reward after graduating college. Plus I definitely think college will test you in ways that will help you be successful if you do decide to pursue flight training. At the end of the day your life, your money, your decision. Best of luck!

1 Like