College student loans plus flight school loans, is it worth it?

Hello there, I am currently working on my Bachelors Degree in Computer Science and expected to graduate May next year. Now that I am closing in my graduation and “real life” I couldn’t imagine myself sitting in office from 9-5 everyday. Sure the salary is very good for software engineers but I wanna pursue my passion in flight since that’ts the only thing I could imagine doing. However, I am faced with uncertainty, I will have about $70k of student loans and addition $80k for flight school. Is it worth the risk?

Kennedy,

Only you can decide what’s worth what in your life but frankly I’m confused by your question? You already have the student loan debt of $70k to do something you “couldn’t imagine” doing, so the question you’re asking is “pursuing my passion” and “the only thing I could imagine doing” worth $80k? To me it’s a no brainer IF it’s truly your passion and the only thing you can imagine doing . So I suppose that’s the real question?

Adam

1 Like

Yeah you got it right. I should’ve worded it differently. I love my major and the job that it gets me but really I would rather be flying than anything else. I was gonna go to flight school right after high school but I came in to realization that if I want to be fly for the major airliners and be competitive I should get a degree and I can also use it as a backup. Thanks btw!

1 Like

Kenn,

I think you worded it just fine. I was simply suggesting you should read your own words. I completely agree with your decision. It’s always a positive to have a back up and yes the Majors want a degree. Now it’s time to decide what’s next?

Btw, you don’t mention if you have any flight experience (and no sitting as a pax in back of a Boeing doesn’t count)? If the answer is no before you can really decide what’s worth what you need to go for a flight. ATP offers a very thorough Intro Flight experience but if there’s none nearby you can go up at any local flight school.

Adam

Kennedy,

Only you can determine if it is worth it for you, we can’t possibly tell you that as I don’t know how much you will enjoy flying versus working in the software industry.

What I can tell you is that I enjoy my job everyday and can’t possibly imagine doing anything else, so for me it was worth it.

Chris