Commercial Airline training

Hello,

I’m interested in pursuing a commercial airline pilot job. I’m currently 25 years old. However, the flight schools are outrages. My nearest flight school is $91,000+, but I don’t want to have to get an airline loan and become even deeper in debt.

Are there currently any airlines that are offering training within with minimum to no cost; due to the pilot shortage? I would love to fly for a commercial airline, but I have absolutely no flying experience. Will particular airlines in the United States that are hiring willing to take on someone with no experience?

Thank you,

Robby A.

Rabia,

Unfortunately flight training is expensive and there are very few scholarships as there’s no way of knowing whether or not you’ll be successful.

United Airlines does have their Aviate program which does offer some scholarships, however there are literally tens of thousands of people applying for a very limited number of slots. More important those openings are going to students without the ability to pay vs those who simply feel the cost is outrageous and don’t want debt.

Adam

Robby,

Flight training is expensive. there is no doubt about that. I am always surprised though when somebody complains about the cost. I am not aware of any kind of professional training that is free, law school, medical school, even accounting school, all come with significant costs. Any kind of job that has the potential for significant earnings usually has extensive training costs associated with it. If you stop and think about it for a minute, flight training is bound to be expensive. You are flying an airplane after all. Even training airplanes have costs well into the high hundreds of thousands, plus fuel is at record levels, insurance is expensive, the list just goes on and on.

No, airlines do not hire people that are not qualified to fly as a commercial airline pilot. At some point, if you want to fly for a living, you will have to taker that leap of faith and invest in flight training.

Chris