Commercial checkride(ASEL)

Hello again everyone! We have had 3 weeks of bad weather here at the GTU location so I have been studying waiting for my checkride. I’m doing review of all the information for my checkride and figured I’d ask what was some questions that stumped you on your checkride? Also, what is an area that you maybe see people weak in that they should be stronger for the commercial checkride? Thanks!

Kyle,

I can’t speak for others but for me it was the actual regulations that govern the CPL cert you’re going for. The feds want to make certain you know and understand exactly what it is you can and cannot do with your CPL and you will be asked. Make sure you’ve got that down AND can explain it.

Adam

1 Like

Kyle,

I actually don’t recall commercial pilot applicants getting stumped on the commercial topics. It was the private pilot level knowledge that they had forgotten.

Go through your ACS thoroughly and have a non-primary instructor give you a mock oral exam, if you haven’t already.

Tory

1 Like

Kyle,
I’d agree with what Adam said. Typically it’s the commercial regs governing what you legally can and can not do with your new found commercial cert that has stumped people. Make sure you know and can answer that.
Then review the ACS to make sure you remember all the little subject areas from private you may have forgotten. Those are all still fair game and your examiner is looking for a more advanced knowledge of those topics since you are applying to be a professional pilot.

-Hannah

1 Like

Kyle,

Make sure to give a good review of the basic, private pilot stuff as well. The commercial really builds on the foundation of the private and often times people get so hung up on the commercial aspects, that they forget to review the private material.

Chris

1 Like

Good afternoon everyone! I passed my oral then we had to discontinue because of thunderstorms the other day, but was able to get the flight portion done as well and I passed it. CFI academy date isn’t until the 24th so they have me getting my commercial ME done first. So on to that now, thank y’all for the advice!

1 Like

Congrats, Kyle!

After having completed the commercial checkride, how would you answer your questions of “what was some questions that stumped you on your checkride? Also, what is an area that you maybe see people weak in that they should be stronger for the commercial checkride?”

Also, I think you’ll find that getting the Commercial Multi checkride out of the way before CFI school will feel good when you come back from CFI school.

Good luck!

Tory

Congrats Kyle!
I second that… getting that multi out of the way will make the post CFI slump much easier to deal with!

-Hannah

Kyle,

Congratulations and welcome to being a professional pilot! You will love the Seminole, it is a great airplane to fly.

Thank your the update, keep them coming.

Chris

Sorry for the late response! I would say one question that stumped me was the DPE gave me the scenario that a guy who owns a Citation wants to hire me to fly his Citation full of family and friends to Denver from the DFW area, but the guy who owns the aircraft isn’t going to be on the flight and he wanted to know if I could legally make the flight. It made me pause and think hard because I didn’t want to say the wrong thing and bust. I would say something that I messed up on was I hadn’t looked into for a long time that I should have been stronger on was the affects of adverse yaw and the aerodynamics associated with it.

1 Like

Also I passed my COMM ME add on 2 days ago! I feel like it was the hardest thing I have had to study for in my time at ATP. It was a very quick stage with a lot of new information. Learning new systems and the aerodynamics of multiengine airplanes was tough in the short time period, but I feel a lot more confident in my abilities to study and retain information after this checkride. So now I am off to CFI!

1 Like

Kyle,

Congratulations on the multi engine certificate!! The Seminole is such a great airplane to fly, I am sure you loved it.

Good luck in CFI!

Chris

1 Like

Kyle,

Awesome news on passing your Multi-Engine Add-on! Best of luck on CFI, it’s one of the most rewarding checkride there is because of how intensive it can be.

Brady

1 Like

Thank you! The Seminole was very fun to fly, I loved my time in it!