Commercial Pilot

Hi, I just have a question. I’m 20 years of age and I’m a freshman in Hospitality Management in UNLV and I’m planning to be an airline commercial pilot, specifically international. I’ve searched on the internet that it is alright to have any bachelors degree to be able to start in a flying school and be an international pilot. My question is if it is possible for me to be able to be promoted to a Senior Captain even if I didn’t have the degree in aviation/aeronautical field cause if it is not possible I’m willing to shift to aviation/aeronautical course, but if it is possible I’ll just continue my studies in UNLV. Thank you.

June,

The short answer is yes. As long as you have a 4yr degree you’ll be fine. You do seem to be a little confused (or you’ve been researching in the wrong places). There is no degree required at all to start flight school, get hired at a Regional airline or even become a Regional Capt. The Majors simply desire their applicants to have 4yr degrees and honestly don’t care what the field of study is. In short again you’re fine.

Btw, it’s not a “promotion” to Capt it’s an upgrade and also there’s no “Senior” Capt position. You’re either a Capt or a First Officer. Senior refers to seniority which speaks only to the amount of time you’ve been at an airline, it’s not a rank.

Adam

1 Like

June,

There is no need at all to have an aviation degree. In fact, I strongly recommend against it as it does not give you any backup plan should the whole aviation thing not work out for any reason.

Neither I, nor Adam, have aviation degrees and we are both Captains at major airlines.

I would encourage you, while you are still in college, to work on punctuation in your writing. These things matter, especially when you are applying to the major airlines.

Chris

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the information. I was very confused, because I don’t have anyone to ask about informations regarding this field. Really appreciated it.

Well, that is what we are here for :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well now you do! :wink:

Adam

1 Like