Commute to YIP

Good morning

I’m currently looking at different ATP locations around the country. The closest location for me would be Willow Run Airport. However it’s about an 1:30 hr drive from my house. Other than putting significant wear and tear on my vehicle, I am wondering if this commute is feasible? Would I be better off moving to a location with housing available? Please let me know what your thoughts are on the situation. Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you.

Steven

Steven,

An hour and a half is really pushing it. You’re going to spend a minimum of three hours a day in your car just in commute time. Not only would it be difficult but if done early in the morning or late at night after long days of training, it could be dangerous driving tired for so long. If you can afford to add the cost of housing to your loan and move closer, it would be a good idea.

Hannah

1 Like

Steven,

I think that is too long of a commute. Doable, yes I suppose, but certainly not ideal. I would try to keep it to under an hour, the closer the better.

That being said, I rode on the bus for well over an hour as a kid and I survived, I spouse it just depends on how well you can manage your time.

Chris

1 Like

Steven,

I’m with the others. While 1.5 is doable but it’s far less than ideal. You’ll have some really long days training and those 3hrs will cut into your rest and study time which is critical.

Further when I did the program I really enjoyed the student housing. Great comradarie and alot of mentoring going on which I found tremendously helpful.

Adam

1 Like

Steven,

If you can even find something relatively close to the training center within an hour each way, is more doable. I know students who have done the hour and half and they eventually became fatigued at times and could not make it into the training center due to fatigue. I think finding an apartment or renting for the time as a student would be more conservative here. The last thing you want is to risk losing the opportunity to rest, eat and study as a student.

Brady

1 Like