Conducting FAA CPL Training & Check-ride with a PPL Piggyback possible?

Hello fellow Aviators :slightly_smiling_face:

I am desperately trying to find an answer to this questions as I have received numerous different replies and answers to this.

I currently possess an FAA PPL piggyback license (based on a foreign EASA license).
Now I am curious to know if I can conduct my FAA CPL training including a subsequent check ride with that piggyback license, or MUST I completely redo an FAA PPL standalone license before commencing the FAA CPL training? I have been told that I do not have to redo the standalone FAA PPL, however this seems to be a tricky question.

I would truly and highly appreciate any input from anybody who perhaps dealt with the same situation.

Thank you all and safe skies !!!

Hi Peter!

It is tricky. We don’t deal with conversions often. Your safest bet is to check with your local FSDO for verification, but to my knowledge, training is one thing. You can train for your CPL now if you wanted to.

However, taking your CPL checkride is another thing. You need to take the FAA PPL checkride before you take your FAA CPL checkride.

Tory

Peter,

I believe(?) you’re ok but short answer you have to talk to the FSDO.

Adam

Thanks for taking your time Tory, much appreciated!

Thanks Adam, I will make sure to send them an Email in the coming days. Perhaps others have dealt with the same issue as well. All the best!