Considering career change - early stages

Hello all, my name is Mitch. I am a 25 y.o. Young professional considering a career change.

I’m excited to be apart of this new community. As I read through posts, I see that certain things can vary quite a bit as far as starting down the journey to become a pilot. Specifically, I am referring to age, knowledge, and focus.

To be transparent, I am at a point where I am looking for a career change. However, becoming a pilot has always been a personal goal of mine. So this isn’t just a random idea I had now that I am exploring different opportunities. It is something I am determined to accomplish and 2021 and the coming years after seem like a great time to focus on this goal.

I do know for sure that my wife and I are moving to the Ft. Lauderdale area in Summer 2021. My research around pilot license opportunities in that area led me to this forum. Naturally, it seems that Southern Florida could be a good place to begin training (or begin PLANNING for training).

I saw a post by a young man named Joshua. He was very well spoken and had obviously put a great amount of thought and planning into his journey. In comparison, I am at a much more early stage. Specifically:

-Planning for our move to a new state, gauging opportunities that lie ahead
-Budgeting for the move and costs for training
-Brainstorming employment that will align with training and support our family during the various training courses
-Networking with industry professionals and like minded new comers. Gathering tips, resources, knowledge.

I hope that summarizes where I stand in my journey. I am very excited and energized by this new info I’ve been gathering.

Again, my name is Mitch. I would really enjoy chatting with anyone on this topic! Thanks!

1 Like

Welcome Mitch,

As you say this forum is packed full of threads which pretty much cover all the various stages you’re concerned with. Feel free to browse. I also recommend you visit ATPs website which contains very specific information on the process and ATPs highly respected and successful program. Airline Training Programs™ / ATP Flight School

Beyond that we’re here to answer any and all questions as best we can.

Adam

2 Likes

Mitch,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for such a detailed introduction. Please check out the FAQ section as it has tons of information that will pertain to you. Beyond that, please feel free to ask us any questions that you may think of, we are always happy to help.

Chris

2 Likes

I instructed at ATP, Wayman Aviation and as a Private Contract CFI in South FL.

South FL has many flight schools.
ATP - FXE
Wayman Aviation - OPF/HWO
Gold Seal- OPF I think
Dare to Dream- PMP

All places I can personally say are good. Each for different reasons (cost, timeline, check ride pass rates and so on).

Find out your budget and how many days you can fly per week. The more you fly the better.

Chris F

Hi Mitch!

I’m new here, just like you, but I went through a similar journey, with a hot fire under my feet that made me move pretty quick on life decisions. I’ll be picking up on previous training at ATP Orlando starting Feb 1st, since I live in Central, FL.

Most of my previous training took place at high altitudes in high desert, so conditions weren’t favorable year-round; here in FL I think that will be less of an issue, taking thunderstorms into consideration, of course.

I will say that if you want to live in a Floridian city (Daytona Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Orlando, Miami, Kissimmee, etc.) right now [as opposed to out in the boonies], be prepared for affordable housing demand to be sky-high. My wife and I are renting from a college student, that’s how bad it got for me. That said, I’m very very financially “in the hole” so if you are stable financially you will have better odds. I’m seeing averages of $850/month or so for partial rentals, and $1600+/month for solo rentals. That was the biggest “gotcha” for me when I moved here.

WARNING: Personal Opinion Incoming
I personally feel as though the timing for starting training is pretty decent right now. Between economic and industrial reports, expected vaccinations/viral containment efforts, and the common sense fact that “the only way from the bottom is up,” I’m hoping that completing ATP and spending several years as CFI will position myself better for job opportunities by the time airline hiring resumes some level of normalcy. Of course, this isn’t guaranteed, but considering I’m out of options, it’s a gamble I’m forced to accept. :slight_smile:

Good luck to you!
Blue skies and tailwinds!

Welcome Mitch,
You’ve come to a great place to start gathering research for your next steps! Florida is a great location for flight training, as the weather is generally conducive to train all year round. There are tons of flight schools in Florida so you should start filtering them with your priorities: is cost your biggest priority? How quick you can get through your training? Flexibility to still have a job on the side? … etc. Once you answer these questions, it will help you figure out which program is right for you once you get moved and settled.
But once again, welcome! Let us know if there is anything we can help with!

-Hannah