Considering pilot career

Hi, everyone! I’ll be graduating with my Bachelor of Science degree in Biology this August or December. My entire scholastic life has been steered towards a pre-medical or pre-dental career. Though my mom wants me to become a “superior, respectable” medical doctor, I’d rather become a cosmetic dentist as I love the artistry and gratifying end results, and also have been interning at a dentist’s office for the past 3 months.

Maybe I’m crazy, but I’ve been considering dropping both all together and pursuing a career as an airline pilot instead. I won’t be a doctor as my mom has always wished, but I will hopefully be able to do what I love most (travel).

As reference, I turn 23 in December. Closest airport to me is FLL. Worst case scenario, I drive an hour to MIA. Though I ultimately want to have a job I love, I can’t ignore the main factor that pay will determine my personal and future family’s comfort and security. Where I live in Florida, the majority of doctors and dentists make over $200k per year their first 1-3 years in the job. Though this is a lot and fast, I have heard of many airline pilots making close to this or more annually.

If anyone finds the time, I was wondering… Thank you in advance!

1. How long (avg) to become first officer?
  2. How long (avg) to become captain?
  3. How many years (avg) until you make at least $100k in a year?
  4. How many years (avg) until you make $200k/year?
  5. If I flew to another state or country, would I be allowed to stay there for a few days (travel) before flying back home? Bring family or plus one?
  6. Is it hard to stay home-based? I’d prefer to come home after each day, but worst case scenario, what’s the avg amount of days you’re away from home per month?
  7. Did airline pilots have a choice to become COV vaccinated, or was is required? Were religious exemptions accepted?
  8. As a female, do you think I will likely be paid less or have less opportunities than men with my same future credentials/experience? I’ve heard the field is made up 80% of men and have of course heard stereotypical/sexist jokes I wouldn’t take personal offense to.
  9. How math or physics heavy is training?
  10. Pros?
  11. Cons?

Thaissa,

Welcome to the forums. Lots of questions, so let’s get to them.

1. Most pilots are a airline eligible two years after starting training with ATP.

2. Time to Captain can vary significantly. but generally 2-3 years seems average at the regionals/

3 and 4: What Income Do Pilots Really Earn? - #2

1. Generally no as your trip will have a return portion associated with it. Yes, ypu can bring family if there are available seats, but keep in mind that on the return flight, you will be going one way or another, so you better be prepared to leave your family behind if need be.

2. Airlines do not offer home basing, corporate operators often do. You will not be coming home each day, no matter who you fly for. Airline pilots by definition fly people to far away places, that means spending nights on the road. I am away from home 14-18 days per month.

3. Depends on the airline. My airline required it and did not offer exemptions.

4. The airline industry judges people solely on their ability to fly and their qualifications, nothing else. As a female, you will have the same opportunities as a male does.

5. Very little math or physics involved in training.

6. Good pay, decent schedules, getting paid to fly.

7. Being gone several nights per month.

I would strongly encourage you to check out the FAQ section and the “Flying the Line” section as these is a ton of great information in both.

Chris

Thaissa,

Chris answered all your questions really well so there’s no need to reiterate (also know that most of your questions are answered in more detail within the forum if you’re willing to take the time).

What I do want address is it seems your desire to fly is predicated on your ability to make money (6 figures) quickly. While now is a great time in aviation due to the pilot shortage, you need to know that unlike medicine or dental, the industry can turn on its head in an instant (Drs did fine during COVID pilots got furloughed). While obviously not a requirement of the job, having a desire to fly (not just travel) is important. The pilots I know do have a basic love for what they do survive the highs and lows. Those who don’t, don’t.

You don’t mention any flight experience? (and no sitting in the back going on vacation doesn’t count. It’s kind of like me saying I think I’d be a good surgeon because I had surgery). If that’s the case I strongly recommend you take an intro flight or lesson and see what you’re getting yourself into. Eventually the money should come but if you hate it the point is moot.

Adam

Thaissa,

Reading your post I have the same worry that you may be initially pursuing this career for the wrong reasons. It’s okay, you wouldn’t be the first to want to become and airline pilot for the money and to travel. We just want to make sure you realize what you’re getting yourself in to.

First, make sure you love to fly! Training will be incredibly difficult demanding your full commitment. If you don’t love what you do, you won’t put in the effort it requires and ultimately you won’t be successful.

Second, even when you love to fly be prepared for all the highs and lows of the career. Eventually you can be making $300k flying around the world but know that it will take quite a long time to get there. You’ll take a huge loan out to finance your flight training and be unemployed for 7 months. After that you’ll flight instruct or build time in a low paying entry level commercial pilot position making $20k-30k a year. Once you make it to a regional, you’ll be doing slightly better making $45-$60k a year but you’ll be junior and working the worst schedule. You may get senior and get a better schedule right before you go to upgrade to captain, make $90k-$110k but be back to being junior with a tough schedule. You see my point?

Don’t get me wrong, being an airline pilot is the best job in the world. But it comes with a lot of sacrifice to get to the part where it really gets good. Make sure you love flying and are willing to put in the work.

Hannah

1 Like

Hey all,

Wanted to inquire about Thaissa’s initial inquiry regarding mandatory vaccinations. Doing some research and I can’t seem to find a solid answer. Are they still mandating vaccinations for your respective employers? Have you seen/heard of any successful exemptions?

Wyatt,

To my knowledge none of the airlines are still requiring vaccines. When they were many of the airlines did offer exemptions but not all.

Adam

2 Likes

Wyatt,

I believe we have dropped our requirement for the Covid vaccine, but there are still others that are required such as the Yellow Fever vaccine.

Chris

1 Like

Wyatt,

I don’t believe any of the regionals require the vaccine anymore. It would be a good question for the HR rep with the respective airline while you interview to make sure.

Hannah

1 Like

Thanks all! Excited to get started with ATP.

Wyatt,

Anytime. Please let us know how else we can be of assistance.

Chris