Considering pilot career

Thaissa,

Welcome to the forums. Lots of questions, so let’s get to them.

1. Most pilots are a airline eligible two years after starting training with ATP.

2. Time to Captain can vary significantly. but generally 2-3 years seems average at the regionals/

3 and 4: What Income Do Pilots Really Earn? - #2

1. Generally no as your trip will have a return portion associated with it. Yes, ypu can bring family if there are available seats, but keep in mind that on the return flight, you will be going one way or another, so you better be prepared to leave your family behind if need be.

2. Airlines do not offer home basing, corporate operators often do. You will not be coming home each day, no matter who you fly for. Airline pilots by definition fly people to far away places, that means spending nights on the road. I am away from home 14-18 days per month.

3. Depends on the airline. My airline required it and did not offer exemptions.

4. The airline industry judges people solely on their ability to fly and their qualifications, nothing else. As a female, you will have the same opportunities as a male does.

5. Very little math or physics involved in training.

6. Good pay, decent schedules, getting paid to fly.

7. Being gone several nights per month.

I would strongly encourage you to check out the FAQ section and the “Flying the Line” section as these is a ton of great information in both.

Chris