Covid-19 Hiring Freeze

What will the impact be with the major airlines freezing hiring? How long could this last?

Nick,

How long will the Covid-19 pandemic panic last? The optimists are saying this will run its course and we’ll be back to business as usual in 30-60 days. The pessimists say this is the beginning of the Zombie Apocalypse and we’ll be seeing furloughs, downgrades and a total stagnation of the industry for years to come.

I lean towards the former but at this point no one knows for certain?

Adam

1 Like

One of my professors say that COVID-19 is a bioweapon and that the whole country is going to shut down in 3 months.

Al,

Well if he’s right then airline hiring will be the least of our worries won’t it?

Adam

2 Likes

Nick,

I suspect that we will not hire for at least six months, but that is simply a guess. It is important to remember that airlines have not always been in this continuous state of hiring. When Adam and I got into this almost none of the majors were hiring, then one airline would for a few months, then another. We got in then and it has worked out great for us. Those who waited until the industry was in a constant state of hiring are now a=our first officers.

Chris

Indeed, if he’s right then I guess we better start learning Chinese now eh?

This is interesting

Also with American and Delta

Nick,

Not sure where you are in your journey to being an airline pilot, but if you haven’t started yet and you plan on starting tomorrow, you are about 2 years away from being hired by a regional airline. This virus might stop travel in the short-term (maybe medium-term?) but what it won’t do is stop current pilots from aging out at 65. Currently half of current Major Airline pilots will be retired by 2030. It will create pent up demand that will just be filled later down the road, assuming that flyer numbers return to normal.

I think this might actually be a good thing for perspective pilots. I’m sure many college freshmen or mid-career adults looking to become pilots will now pass and those of us (like me) who are dead set on being a pilot will benefit from the lower amount of newly minted 1,500 hour pilots looking for jobs in 2 years time. In addition, fewer pilots usually means airlines will pay more to recruit these new pilots, assuming again flyer numbers return to per-coronavirus levels. Just my prediction.

Sam

3 Likes

To be fair here, Boeing’s problems are of their own making and existed well before this virus.

2 Likes

Sam,

Interesting insights and I completely agree with you. Thank you for adding your perspective.

Chris

1 Like

Sam,

I’m with you 100% on this. I have a class date for SkyWest for the end of July and spoke to the recruiter because I was worried it would be getting pushed back or cancelled and he told me not to even worry about it and they still need pilots just as much as they did before.

I am running a small (80 employees) company in Europe. We are providing engineering services. I expect that the travel disruptions will last for 2-3 months. The recession will be worse than in 2008, but there were always recessions and good times, so nothing new here. It will recover, and aviation business will recover, too. Maybe 2 years, maybe 3-4, who knows. There will be higher unemployment, lower pays, etc. as usual.
But this is far from the end of the world. I have been through the collapse of communist regime, several crises, like the last global financial and crisis in Russia and sanctions, it is not a big deal until there is no war. I hope there won’t.
So just adapt to the new situation and continue pursuing your goal.

Any suggestion for people just graduating from pilot school during this crazy time? I just finished ATP, got all certificates (except for CFII), got roughly 500 hours, plus roughly 15 years of corporate experience but still, I have a VERY hard time finding an instructor position or anything to build my hours. Concern now is that my skills may “fade” when this crazy virus dies out… any suggestions?

Chester,

It’s tough. That’s one of the reasons I always tell people to think long and hard before they say no to that guaranteed instructor position (even if it means relocating). It’s really just a matter of shaking ALL the trees, Googling, visiting small airports etc.

That all said this is not a good time to be out looking when we’re all being told to stay inside.

Good luck sir

Adam

Same boat here. California is now essentially on lockdown so no flight training as it’s not essential. And I can’t afford to move away from home (nor would that be advised right now anyways). Guess it’s just time to ride this out for a couple months. I do plan on going up with an instructor for some laps in the pattern once the restrictions ease up, and I feel like it won’t take long to shake off the rust. Maybe practice giving some ground lessons if you’re living with someone else, or through a live stream platform? Idk. It’s a weird time for sure.

I don’t want to raise false hopes for fellow students but I saw that flight schools are listed under aviation/transportation as an essential service and as of right know, I am still scheduled to fly tomorrow. Maybe a candle in a dark cave.

Edward,

Curious where you saw that? Sounds like a stretch but if it works great.

Adam

Adam, found this earlier, then ATP confirmed.

https://www.cisa.gov/transportation-systems-sector

Ed

Thank you Edward,

Works for me!

Adam