Covid-19 Hiring Freeze

Chester,

I am surprised that flight instructing is considered essential, but her whatever works.

The best thing you can do is find a way to stay current, even if that means paying for the flight time.

I have to ask, why did you pass on the CFII?

Chris

1 Like

Adam: Thank you very much for the insight and response. I actually always want to be an instructor which is one of the primary reasons I decided to go with ATP. However, they only offer the instructor to a very few people and my CFII is now cancelled due to the coronavirus. Just a series of very frustrating events

Hi Chris - Thx for the response. I think your question is why I did NOT pass the CFII. I am in the east coast and the weather has been consistently never stopping rain for the past 2~3 months; the CFII was rescheduled for 3 times. The last time was cancelled again due to weather and when I wanted to schedule again with DPE, coronavirus arrived and government ordered the shutdown

Chester,

Not sure what you mean by “they only offer the instructor to a very few people”?

Adam

Adam: The instructor position is only offered to a few, not everyone completing the program gets it. Honestly, I am very surprised how ATP treated me since the checkride was rescheduled 3 times all due to weather; I had an excellent attendance record and have been making every checkride even though the weather was less than cooperating. Like everyone else, I could be at school at 6AM and waited 10+ hours and only to be told i would not fly that day. I understand the school has a certain allotted time for students to complete their program but the weather and the coronavirus are both out of my control — I also paid ATP additional money to compensate for the additional flight time needed in order to complete the CFII but after the instructor signed off my flight (twice), ATP simply informed me I am out of the program (last week) and they would not help me arrange a checkride with DPE. It’s a difficult decision to take in and I am still absorbing the information — Don’t want to sound like a negative person but it really shocked me they simply decided to “drop” me at the hardest time for graduates to find an instructor position and without CFII, it definitely makes it to find an instructor position.

In a word, I was told the instructor position was only offered to a few - this is different from the marketing language “GUARANTEED” they put it out there.

Chester,

That’s unfortunate and I’m not going to dispute what you’re saying but I’m thinking there’s more to the story.

Adam

Agree. It’s a small industry so although it’s quite unfortunate, my best option is to focus on my next chapter rather than trying to address this with ATP at the moment. Thx for listening and stay healthy!
Joe

With this loan, are all pilots at the legacies paid fully until 9/30? For example at united 72 hours a month at their respective pay for 6 months?

Jeff,

The CARES Bill states employees can’t take any pay cuts or concessions so short answer, yes, pilots may continue to receive their minimum guarantee. That said many pilots who routinely worked more will be making less. Also many airlines are offering temporary leaves for less hours to try and offset the lack of revenue.

Adam

Same here in Ohio. Flight schools did close for a week because they assumed they weren’t a essential business. They called the Governors office and they stated flight schools are exempt and gave the reason, there is a pilot shortage. However, local colleges still haven’t open their flight schools.