Covid19

Hi All

I would like to throw in my own thoughts on the Covid-19 effect on airline industry. My doctor, dentist, both contacted me and told me they are cancelling appointments for the foreseeable future. My question is won’t this effect us future pilots since we need someone to go to for a first class medical and even those places are now shut down? With this epidemic said to get much much worse, won’t things be shut down for longer and us future pilots be effected even more? Please let me know, I would appreciate any and all input.

What has your AME said?

Mikael,

How about us current airline pilots who need a medical so we can keep our jobs? Not sure you “future pilots are effected more?”. This is a problem on many levels for many people. I do believe there’s a light at the end of the tunnel, problem is none of us know how long the tunnel is?

If you haven’t started training yes you may be delayed, if you’re already training hopefully you’ll continue. It’s a lousy deal but it’s better than the folks who are sick, or may lose their jobs, homes, businesses or Gd forbid lives. This is a good time for some perspective.

Adam

3 Likes

Mikael,

Keep in mind that this is affecting all industries, not just aviation. Everybody is taking a delay. In time, this will pass and those who are ready to go will be ahead of all of those who sat around waiting for conditions to be perfect. Life has to go on, don’t let this slow down or derail your life plans.

Chris

Question for my son who is planning on starting training in July Aug range after graduation and Covid 19 has hopefully passed… where can he order the book and information to study. Does ATP sell these?? Amazon?? Wanted to order as a graduation gift!!

Grant,

ATP supplies all the courseware to their students after they secure a start date with a deposit. They do not sell it independent of the course.

If your son will be attending ATP he’s good to go. If he’ll be training elsewhere I recommend you speak to the flight school he’ll be attending. They should be able to sell you or recommend the books they prefer.

Adam

Grant,

If you want my suggestion, a headset would also be a great graduation gift. I’ve had my Bose for 5 years. Love them.
https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/aviation_headsets/a20-aviation-headset.html

Tory

Grant,

Everything your son needs for studying will be supplied when he places his deposit down. A headset or flight bag would be a great graduation gift.

Chris

Hi Tory

Sorry for the late response. My AME has shut down all his appointments until July 31st 2020. So all us patients from now to July will be scrabbling to find an appointment once his clinic re-opens and my appointment could be well into 2021 since he told me he has cancelled over 500 appointments. This could delay my plans for ATP, since I am aware that it takes 9-12 months, for the forms to be approved and returned. Complicated stuff eh?

Mikael,

Why would it take 9-12mos for approval? Do you have a medical condition?

Adam

Michael,

Same question. It doesn’t take 9-12 months unless you have a medical condition that requires more information to be reviewed by the Federal Air Surgeon. Otherwise, your medical is handed to you on the spot if you pass.

However, I do see your concern. I don’t know what else to say except do some research online to find other AMEs nearest you, call around and see if any of them are still working. Or wait. You’re not the only one that has to put their life on hold until the country recovers from the pandemic.

Tory

Mikael,

I would suggest finding a new AME that is still open. Surely some are. There are literally thousands of AMEs in the US.

Chris

Hi Adam

Without going into specifics, Yes, I do have a mental Health condition, and as you already know, those are taken very seriously with the FAA, and I need to see a HIMS AME, who has to do multiple extra forms for me, and after all that time and money, I can only submit my paperwork, and hope for the best, since at that point, Ill just be left to the whims of the FAA, if they want me, they will accept me, if they do not want me they will deny me. After all, I NEED this job as a pilot, its my passion. The airline industry DOES NOT need me, they have thousands of other applicants. Supply and demand is a crazy thing, is it not?

Hi Chris

I searched and called for all HIMS AME in a 150 mile radius, spanning to TWO STATES in each direction of my state, and 6/7 closed due to the pandemic and the 7th one, has a lock down, with little flights going in and out of the state, thus leaving me with a days worth of driving, minimum. Which, I cannot afford with school and work, both of which have refused to cancel and call me in 7 days a week, 6 days for school, 3 days for work. No rest for the driven eh?

Hi Tory

I do have a mental health condition, which the FAA does not take kindly to. After spending thousands of dollars with the HIMS AME, who all charge around $350 per hour, I will simply be left hoping the FAA"wants" me. (I have not seen my HIMS AME yet, he cancelled, I am speaking in future terms). Lets hope the pilot shortage is so severe they want a guy like me eh?

A HIMS AME is a whole different story. Good luck, hopefully this situation resolves soon.

HIMS AMEs are rare. I understand now why it has become increasingly difficult for you to obtain your first class medical.

I admire your tenacity. Don’t let this obstacle get you down. When the time is right, you will persevere. Right now simply isn’t the best time. None of it was in anyone’s control.

Tory