Debt

After studying at ATP and then going into the airline work force, how long did it take you to pay off debts?

Quintin,

I think you’ll find that answer various considerably by when people completed the program and their circumstances.

The main thing is these days with the pilot shortage and the hiring bonuses being offered, it’s possible to pay off the entire debt immediately. That said, some people use the money for other debts, expenses, etc and choose to keep the loan open.

Adam

That’s my hope, though as you made abundantly clear, nothing is guaranteed. But I do hope it lasts.

Quintin,

I paid off my flight school debt in seven years, but your results may vary.

Chris

1 Like

Too many factors for us to say how long it will take you.
Use a loan calculator to figure out what you can afford and how long it will take. As others mentioned, it may be possible to get money from an airline to help repay the loan.
NerdWallet and Mint by intuit are both great websites / apps that can help you budget, track your spending, and your net worth.

Here are 2 possible repayment plans for a 100k loan (10yr vs 15yr). Possibly Refinancing down the road can help get the rate down and pay less interest.

Chris F

1 Like