Dec 17 Reserve Schedule

As a new upgrade my airline has a policy that the Captain must make ALL the landings which flying Interisland means ALOT of landings. I therefore didn’t pick up any extra flying and kind of took it easy. Didn’t do bad considering I was on Reserve and Dec is a Holiday month.

Dec 1: OFF
Dec 2: HNL-KOA-HNL-KOA-HNL-KOA-HNL
Dec 3: HNL-KOA-OGG-KOA-HNL
Dec 4: HNL-KOA-HNL-KOA-HNL-KOA-HNL
Dec 5-11: OFF
Dec 12: HNL-OGG-HNL-ITO-HNL
Dec 13: HNL-OGG-HNL-OGG-LIH-HNL-ITO-HNL
Dec 14: Resv No Call
Dec 15: Resv No Call
Dec 16: HNL-KOA-HNL-LIH-HNL-OGG-HNL
Dec 17: HNL-ITO-HNL-OGG-HNL
Dec 18-19: OFF
Dec 20: HNL-ITO-HNL
Dec 21: Resv No Call
Dec 22: Resv No Call
Dec 23: HNL-OGG-HNL-KOA-HNL-ITO-HNL
Dec 24: HNL-KOA-HNL-OGG-HNL-LIH-HNL-LIH-HNL (LONG day!)
Dec 25: HNL-OGG-HNL
Dec 26-27: OFF
Dec 28: Resv No Call
Dec 29: HNL-KOA-HNL
Dec 30: HNL-OGG-HNL-ITO-HNL-OGG-LIH-HNL
Dec 31: OFF

65 hrs duty/75 hrs pay.

2 Likes

Do the short hops and same airports ever get boring after a while? Although I’m sure being home every night is great!

Kyler,

Not to me. Everyone has different likes and dislikes but to me sitting in the Bus for 6-12hrs, THAT was boring! Interisland we actually FLY and as a pilot that’s what I signed up for! While the weather is generally favorable 3 of the 5 airports we fly into are “Special Airports” due to terrain and require special training. Also while the Bus was literally the easiest plane I’ve ever landed the 717 is not. It’s always a challenge to get a “greaser” and also to fly as efficiently as possible on your descents. It’s really a matter of challenging yourself and keeping yourself motivated.

Adam

Adam,

Maybe that big bus is easy to land, but I am still trying to figure out the baby bus.

Chris

I’ve heard that from our Neo guys, the Big Bus is cake.

Adam

Hello, I am relatively new to this forum and have something for aviation that I am trying to discover.

I am very intrigued by the interisland flying of the Hawaiian 717s. After doing loads of research I saw there is AM and PM shifts with them. Usually what times are they if that is true? Also another question, about how much time do you have inbetween flying different legs?

Thanks,
Tom

Thomas Henry,

There aren’t actually fixed am and pm schedules but more a fair amount of trips that start in the early morning and have you done by noon-1300 and others that start in the afternoon and continue into the evening finishing as late as 2345. There are of course trips that start in the late morning and finish in the early evening. Once you gain some seniority you can for the trips you like. What’s particularly nice is while everyone else at Hawaiian (and other airlines) bid everything from destinations, overnights and trip length the 717 pilots really only bid the time slots they like and days off making it much easier.

Again the turnaround times can vary but they average about 30min which makes the day go very fast.

Adam

Thomas,

I wouldn’t say what you read was false it just needs a little clarification. Lines are built with trips, if you want an “am” line you bid am trips and the same goes for pm’s. Most pilots have one preference or the other so the am guys seldom fly with the pm’s and visa versa.

Adam

Adam,

This article popped up on my Instagram by a plane spotter out in the 808 and wanted to know if you had heard anything about it. I remember talking about it with you a while back.

Yea yea yea, everyone’s freaking but if you do some research you’ll see Leeham News is just a blogger and he puts this stuff out based on rumor and hearsay. BUT, we have been told an announcement about the decision for our new long range airplane should be announced by the new CEO within the next few weeks. I’ll keep you posted.

Adam