Decided to go for it

While I initially was wanting to do the 100 hour multi-engine option, the more I looked at my situation, I realized that in order to do a full time program, I would have to take a couple years of financial planning to be able to quit my job and become a full time student. Enter the Flex Track option. Now looking at starting around the 1st of the year. Now suddenly I seem to be even less enthusiastic about my current job as a dispatcher in the trucking industry since there is light at the end of the tunnel…lol. Spending the time between now and then studying to get as many of the written exams out of the way. Currently reading the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge that is available to download for free from the FAA’s website. Found out yesterday that I will need a cosigner for Sallie Mae (not suprised). I think I’ll be able to get my parents to cosign.

Derek

Derek,

Hopefully you can get a cosigner and the financing won’t be an issue.

I wouldn’t spend too much time on the Pilot Handbook. Good information but until you start training much of it will be out of context. Your time will be much better served working on the writtens. Just keep in mind the writtens expire in 24mos. If you’re not starting for 6mos and you’re doing the Flex Track you won’t want to start to early on the later tests.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for the advice. You mention the writtens expire in 24 months. Is that something that has to be continually retaken throughout ones career?

Derek

Derek,

Great question. The answer is no. You only need take them once but you must then take the Practical exam (oral and flight test) within 24mos of completing the written to earn the applicable license or rating. Once you get the license or rating you only need to remain current, they don’t expire.

Adam

Derek,
I know you’ve researched and thought a lot about the right program but have you visited an ATP location yet? You’ll get a tour and an intro flight. After that work on a securing that loan and getting your first class medical. Once that is all set you can pick your start date and get going on knocking out your first written, the PAR.

-Hannah

Derek,

I am glad that you have found an option that will work for you. It is great that you are working on your writtens, but do not let that delay your entry into the program. When you are financially able, go for it and complete the rest of the writtens while in training.

Chris

Hannah, I will be scheduling an introductory flight. I was attempting to do the financing first because they waive the intro flight fee with a financing approval.

Derek

Derek,
Great! You’re absolutely right. Just wanted to make sure you were checking those boxes too so you can arrange your start date and get access to your study materials. Keep us updated with how your tour and intro fight go!
-Hannah