Deciding whether to embark on the journey

Hi Everybody,

I’ve seen previous posts regarding this topic but I just wanted to get some opinion on my circumstance.

I took a discovery flight recently and fell in love with the flying experience. I am currently an Engineer and 30 years old, and would like to pursue a career in flying for a major airline.

My hesitation at this point, unfortunately, is that my driving record is riddled with negatives - I have a few suspensions, speeding offences and a DWAI on my record. It’s been around 6 years since my last conviction. It’s best at this point to transparent, honest and take responsibility for my actions up front before I move forward.

In this case, since there is a high monetary and time commitment to achieving the goal of flying for an airline - should I just stop pursuit of this goal to become an airline pilot? If I get my First Class Medical, and successfully complete school will I have a chance at getting a job for a major airline or will I be rejected due to my driving record? The last thing I would want is to make this investment and be rejected at the end of all of it.

Appreciate the insight and advice in Advance!
Charles

Charles,

First and foremost if you’re looking for guarantees aviation is not the career for you. Flying for a Major is the pinnacle of our vocation and frankly not everyone makes it for a variety of reasons.

The good news is the more time you put between yourself and your offenses the less weight they carry. What’s critical is that you continue to remain squeaky clean. If you can say that was then and I’ve changed that’s believable but if it continues its not.

Adam

Charles,

While your driving record is pretty bad, it does really help that there is significant time since your last conviction. That being said, you need to keep your record, to include your driving, criminal, and FAA record spotless moving forward. I think if you do this, you will likely be okay.

That being said, there are no guarantees. I would recommend calling a few regional airline recruiting departments and asking them directly.

Chris

Charles,
Since this is a huge financial commitment I think you should reach out to a few airline recruiters and see what they say before you take out the loan. I’m with the guys on this one, since it’s been a while since your last incident it will probably be okay if you have nothing recent. By the time you’d be applying you’d have two more years of a clean record so eight years since the last one… that shows a change in your life.

-Hannah

Adam,

Appreciate the reply. I see you grew up in the Bronx if I’m not mistaken? I’m also a fellow New Yorker; I grew up in the Queens/Long Island area.

Absolutely, it is critical that I keep my record clean moving forward. In pursuit of this goal I signed up to get my First Class medical certificate. This is the beginning and I will move forward from there.

Thank you for the insight Chris. Great idea on contacting the regional airlines - I managed to speak to several recruiters and they gave me confidence that as long as I keep my record clean and farther myself my previous mistakes, the better I will be off.

Thank you Hannah for the reply. Definitely, and the more years I maintain of my clean record, I can prove that the person I am today is not the irresponsible person I was in the past.

A regional recruiter had also mentioned I may be able to turn it in to a positive note, by volunteering my time and providing leadership/mentorship to younger people by hosting talks and kind of providing guidance and letting them know that these mistakes have a serious impact throughout life and discuss avoiding the mistakes I have made.

Charles,

I did grow up in the Bronx. Born and raised by I didn’t want to die there so I’m long gone (my mom’s still there). Fun fact you might not know. A million years ago (before you were born) there was a very nice small airport in Whitestone right where that big movie theater is now. My dad took a few lessons there when I was young and I’m pretty sure that’s where I was bitten by the flying bug!

Adam

Wow! I had to look it up haha. Come on now, I am sure you’re not that old! I did not know that an airport existed there. That’s great, I can imagine the positive influence it had. They are doing major renovation work now on New York’s LaGuardia.

Charles,

I’m old enough to have sat in the back of a 172 there and remember it well!

Adam

Charles,
I think that recruiter has the right idea. Obviously because they say it would help your resume, but also because it demonstrates who you are today. It’s easy to say you’ve changed but means more to show.
-Hannah

Hannah,

Definitely - actions speak louder than words as the saying goes. Additionally, as the cliche saying goes, if there is a goal in life you want to achieve and you put your mind to it, you can be anything you want to be. Nothing comes easy.

I decided to pursue this dream and booked my start date! I will be starting this journey on September 6th, 2021. I am working towards passing my private pilot knowledge test by that time. As for the other exams, I know it would be best to pass them by my start date but I need to realistic and I want to understand the material thoroughly, rather than rush and not have as good of a chance at passing.

Charles,

Congrats on your decision to start. This is a huge first step to a career in aviation.

Don’t sweat the writtens. While it’s nice to have a box checked, it’s definitely not required and many students don’t.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Adam

Excellent news, Charles!

Three weeks is enough to at least get the PAR written out of the way.

Looking forward to following your journey to the airlines. We are here for you.

Tory

Charles,

Thank you for letting us know that you have selected a start date. Please keep us up to speed as you go through the program and of course please ask us any questions that you may have.

Chris