(Dis)Qualifications

1. Is 32 too old to become a pilot
  2. Age 18 , got a Pom (possession of marijuana)
    Is that a deal breaker ?

Jerald,

1. not even close.

2. if you’ve remained clean since you’ll be fine.

For more info please search either as there are literally dozens of threads on both subjects.

Adam

Jerald,
You’re the second post today from someone in their early 30s wondering if it’s too late to start… the answer is no and you wouldn’t be alone in that. If you’re sure it’s what you want to spend your time doing, don’t waste anymore time getting going.
The decisions you made at 18 probably won’t affect you at 31 as long as you haven’t had anything since and you’re transparent about your past.

-Hannah

Awesome !
I own my company now and have for 8 years (pool company)
I have been clean ever since and have no problem in transparency:) (why i asked the question to behind w)

Do you have advice for the best way get started , for someone that will need to continued to provide an income for family during the process ?

If you are unable to quit your job and commit to the fast track program of 7 months, we recommend you do the Flex track program. That will allow you greater schedule flexibility and decreased training time per week to continue working. It would be best to drop to at least part time if you can. Feel free to check out the website below for more details on the kind of commitment needed for the flex track
Program.

https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/flex-track-airline-career-pilot-program.html

-Hannah

Jerald,

1. No, 32 is in no way too old.

2. Provided your record is clean beyond that one instance, I do not see this being an issue. Just make sure to keep it clean moving forward.

3. I second the recommendation of the Flex Track program. The program is designed for those who need to continue to work or go to college while in training.

Let us know what other questions you have.

Chris

I appreciate y’all ! I will be looking into this immediately,
Thank y’all for your help !

I have a question: Is the vaccine/covid testing required as a pilot? If not, which airlines do not require the vaccine? I have wanted to fly ever since I was 17. Now I am 20 going on 21 and debating between cyber security and piloting, so if you have any tips, let me know. I would like to work in an airline and move on to missions work as well. Right now I work in a call center.

Chris,

Right now no airline that I am aware of explicitly requires the vaccine, but they are all moving that way and likely will soon.

Chris

Chris,

As Chris said currently no US airlines require the vaccine and until it’s actually “approved” under normal, not emergency, protocols I don’t believe there will be.

Huge difference between flying and cyber security. The question is have you ever taken a lesson or flown in a small plane? If the answer is no then you should. Many people have a strong reaction to going up. Depending on if that reaction is positive or negative might help steer you.

Adam

My main concern would be airsickness. I like being in the air.

Thanks!

Chris,

While you may like “being in the air” in the back of Boeing or Airbus, sitting in front at the controls of a small training airplane is very different. You really should give it a try.

Adam

I did 5-7 flight lessons with Civil Air Patrol for free. I’m just concerned about the whole vaccine issue. Have thought about waiting and seeing how everything works out first, but I think God told me today to skip IT for now and take some lessons. But maybe my discernment is off. Like when I get this feeling, it’s usually for a reason. Maybe a Sport Pilot idea is better with private lessons due to less hours… Am scared about shooting for an Airline Pilot course with ATP for commercial flying and then having a vaccine requirement come out. Do not want to take a vaccine that is not tested and is not really a vaccine.

The whole other issue being that I have never taken an IT course and am worried about going to school for something I don’t even like, but as much as I enjoy my call center job, I would like to make more than I do. I like flying for sure, my only 2 concerns are 1) vaccines, and 2) the airsickness lol. I know missionary pilots are at the bottom 10% with pay for pilots, which is basically what I make now, so the idea is kind of counterproductive, but I enjoy helping people. Cybersecurity does seem like a better option since I might be able to do cybersecurity and flying as a hobby, and maybe can find a way to fit missions trips once in a while, but I’m worried about sitting at a desk all day.

But call center work gets old with people complaining all day, things changing on a daily basis, and my job is interesting, but I want to do more with my life than help with car problems because even though I enjoy it, the customers can be rather demanding and nasty at times, and my coworkers have health problems, and have wondered if it’s related to the stress of the job, even though it(the stress itself) is relatively low.

I do have an interview for a job that will train me how to repair cars, which I am also interested in. It’s just hard to know my interests because there are so many different career paths that I can enter into.

Chris,

I firmly believe that there will soon be a vaccine requirement. If this is a deal breaker for you, I would suggest pursuing a different career as many companies are requiring the vaccine and many countries are requiring it for entry.

Chris

Is college education required or is the cadet program sufficient to fly for a career

I have one more question then: Is a Sport Pilot certificate a good one to shoot for if I just want to fly as a hobby? Would like to learn how to fly with a degree in Cyber Security. It sounds like I need to do one at a time, though. Thanks for the fast responses!

Chris,

Yes, a sport pilot license is good if you just want to fly for fun. I would recommend a Private Pilot license though as it allows one to fly larger aircraft and to take more people with them.

Chris

Shame . I didn’t even ask this question, but requiring a vaccine would also be a deal breaker for me. First that then what :pensive: