(Dis)Qualifications

Jerald and Chris,

I definitely am not going to get into a whole pro vs anti vaccine conversation but I am curious what makes you believe you won’t be required to get vaccinated by every company in the World eventually?

Believe me I’m not saying you will or should but the way things are going it will be getting harder and harder to not. The fact is pilots at least have a union standing up and speak for them, most do not.

Adam

Currently i own my company :wink:
Currently we support making our own decisions with our body -
(Not interested in being someone’s lab rat) good luck with that though sir :slight_smile:
I think I’ve heard enough to get a feel for the atmosphere in this craft.
Appreciate your feedback.

Adam,

I have been wondering about this. I was hoping that the airlines wouldn’t make it a requirement until is was FDA approved. I am not against receiving the shot once it is approved. Glad the unions have stood up for their pilots.

Joshua

Jerald,
My major airline has stated that they will not “require” anyone to get the vaccine, but they actually paid us nicely to do so.
Beyond that, being stuck in a foreign country and developing symptoms of any sort would not be my idea of a great idea.
Those factors combined have led to a near 70% vaccination rate already. Many are waiting as well for future FDA approval.
Company has stated that if a country “requires vaccine” for entry and you cannot work a trip that is assigned to you due to your lack of vaccine, they will remove you from that trip but you are not guaranteed full pay unless you pick up something else that does not require a vaccine.
In the past, my airline used to “require” the Yellow Fever vaccine (up until about 3 yrs ago) and if you didn’t want to get it you would either be not hired or fired. Getting Yellow Fever, or Malaria in a foreign location can be problematic!

Hi Jerald,

Just wanted to give you my quick thoughts on the age issue.

I am in my mid-forties, and have dreamt of a pilot career since I was in college in my twenties. I took other paths, and while I have not regretted the work I have done, and the life I have lived, having travelled the globe professionally, there was always that pang in the background of wanting to be a pilot. So, here I am at my age getting ready to take the plunge.

As such, my advice: If this is what you want to do, you feel passionate about, then go for it! The next ten years are going to pass whether you’re pursuing your dream or not; you might as well be following that dream.

Finn