Does airlines count/skeptical about a online degree?

Hello, it’s Mohsina again. So, the route that I am planning to take, I was wondering how you guys think about it and can provide some feedback on it.

After (Currently in HS)

Graduating from High School
:point_down:t3:
Taking a gap year (to finance and get some prior knowledge on aviation & work on some other interests that I have, that being said I will know it when the situation comes because I am quite confused about the whole gap year and even thinking if I can ditch that if there is a way I find)
Flight School (Accelerated 9-12 months)
CFI at the school (I guess that will take 2 years)
Getting into Regional (I guess that will take 5-10 years depending)

-Is it possible to be a CFI and work on an online degree at the same time? And that may extend to while being in regional and work on that degree?
Major Airlines

However, I do not know how airlines view an online degree compared to a degree obtained in a regular way (in person). And what are the pros and cons of an online degree?

• As I saw in some other posts that Adam recommends a college to a student after high school. I was wondering when is the reasonable time to go to college in order to work on that degree (As I know for a degree I am not aware if there is any age limitation in general for going to college).

And if possible do let me know if there is a way I can finance my flight training maybe by going with a flight school that is partnered with a specific airline. I do not know a lot about this.

Please, feel free to tell me if there is something that seems not doable or if there is a better way I can tackle that area. Because it’s just how I planned and tweaking to make it better would definitely help me a lot.

Any input of any pilot/Mentor & students would be really great!

Mohsina,

The first thing about your post that grabbed my attention was your “gap year”? In your other post you talk about a degree taking “too much time” but you’re considering a gap year? Your choice but if you’ve got time to pursue other interests you’ve got time to go to community college and take care of your core requirements.

Anyway it’s no secret I don’t really recommend going straight from HS to flight school. First you may decide aviation really isn’t your calling and then find yourself with debt, no degree and no plan. Further many young people simply lack the discipline right after HS to be successful. For a long time ATP wouldn’t even accept students without either their PPLs or a degree because of the high failure rate.

I’d much rather you maybe compromise and do a 2yr degree, then fly, then work on your 4yr while at a Regional or instructing. This accomplishes a few things. First it allows you to check off your core requirements in a structured environment and also allows a little more time for you to weigh your options. Further after earning a 2yr degree and then credits for your licenses and ratings you can get an online BS aviation degree in minimal time and expense. The Majors have no problem with online degrees as long as it’s from a reputable accredited university.

Finally most people do finance their training

Adam

1 Like

Mohsina,

The majors will accept an online degree, but it needs to come from a reputable college, preferably one with an actual physical presence and not just a pure online school. The majors (and most companies) know the difference between an actual degree and an online one from some make believe university.

Adam answered the rest of your questions. I agree with him that it is better to go to college first, then flight school, but I also understand that path is not always available to everybody. As he said, whatever works for you. Just make sure if you do college second that you have the dedication to return to college and finish it.

No gap years. That is a European concept that should have no place in your plans.

Chris

1 Like

Hey Mohsina,

It appears my job is to be a pain in Chris’ butt and disagree with him a little bit :wink:

For me personally when I left high school I had 30 college credits under my belt via full time dual enrollment my Sr year. BECAUSE I had that head start, I took a gap year and spent 6 months working, and 6 months traveling. Regardless of whether or not I had my “freshman year” finished yet I would’ve gone anyways, but having those credits taken care of was always a nice justification in my head…

Anyways I would NOT have traded that year for the world. In fact, my gap year is what brought me to aviation to begin with. Had I not taken the year I wouldn’t have met the Delta pilot who got me into all this. I would recommend a gap year if you are unsure about what you want to do with your career or life. Additionally I would ABSOLUTELY recommend it if you plan to HUSTLE these next few years. ATP is an intense program and you won’t have time for much else during it. Likewise if you plan to CFI after ATP and get your degree the same can be said. My travels during my gap year are phenomenal life-long memories now and my experience working dead end jobs (food service and factory jobs) those 6 months always keeps me motivated when I lose sight of my end goal. If you plan to hustle these next few years take a little bit of time after HS to BREATH and have some fun before you get at it :wink: While seniority matters and getting ahead of the curve matters, in the scheme of your life if you spend your gap year RIGHT it is 100% worth the 1yr career delay.

edit: oh yea and get a decent degree. Find an in-state school ideally with an aviation management degree or something that sounds nice from a legit school. Otherwise a non-aviation major should work in a pinch from what I’ve heard. Best case scenario get the degree before ATP but I know of a CFI at my location who’s currently finishing his degree and while it is working for him he told me it’s quite difficult to manage.

1 Like

Hey there, Ryan. Fuh…finally someone who thinks that a gap year can be a very good option if used correctly. And I am taking mine for the fact that I want to finance my training that’s what I mean by other interests. If possible can you let me know how you did it and maybe still doing it. I mean it is different for everyone but I am curious. So, after a gap year, did you started at ATP from Zero time or with your PPL. Are you currently a CFI there or you are doing other things to build hours? If you have taken a degree, where are you taking it from. And do you recommend doing PPL separate then doing the rest of things with other Flight School. I know it’s a lot of questions but your response would be very helpful.

Always good to get a different perspective but I have to ask what you mean by the above? The fact is there are more pilots WITHOUT aviation degrees than there are with. There’s not a single airline in the country that requires one or even lists it as a preference. The only reason I ever suggest one is to get the box check for a Major AFTER you’re already flying for a Regional and are already in the industry.

While again I appreciate your gap year was beneficial to you, there are 69 furloughed pilots at my airline who wish every day they had gotten to the airline a year or even less sooner.

Adam

3 Likes

Mohsina,

Take the advice you’re receiving with a grain of salt. You decide what is best for you. If you end up taking your gap year, just be aware of the pros and cons that have been presented to you. I see benefits to both taking and not taking a gap year. It really comes down to the individual.

Tory

2 Likes

I think @Tory said it best. There are pros and cons and as @Chris and @Adam have pointed out there are very certainly tangible benefits to starting your career early. That being said if you are even considering a gap year in the first place chances are there are also very tangible benefits for you to take one…

I graduated HS in 2018 with 30 college credits under my belt already, so effectively my freshman year was complete. I was a bit of a wreck at the time and while I loved backyard engineering/tinkering, I didn’t really think that engineering was the right path for me. So I took the year, worked my butt off. Ended up chasing hourly pay for the year and in doing so worked in an auto shop, at Starbucks, babysitting/lawn care, and eventually at Chocolate distribution plant (don’t ask me how that happened haha). During my time working odd jobs I met a Delta pilot who turned me on to aviation. Took a discovery flight and immediately knew that this is what I wanted to do.

Saved up all that time and come December 2018 I hopped on a flight to Iceland and from there went on to Spain and Italy (did work stay arrangements in each, still had time to be a tourist), then onto Japan, Fiji, NZ, before heading back stateside to work on my PPL at a mom and pop shop. During my time overseas I began my studying early so that way when I came back I could just knock out my Written and then hustle through training w/ minimal ground.

A gap year is a REALLY REALLY EASY WAY to burn a year. Like, really easy. The number of people I’ve met who said they were “just going to spend 1 month” and then it turned into 6 is too high to count. That being said, it’s also a great opportunity to better yourself as a person. Nobody wants to get on a plane with a frazzled pilot, and certainly you don’t want to BE a frazzled pilot throughout your training. And it’s up to you to determine if you really need this time off, or it’s just for “funsies.” My year was a great opportunity for me to work on people skills, work ethic, and figure out what I wanted to do with my life. And working garbage 9-5 jobs definitely was a good motivator for getting a good education that’s for darn sure :wink: anyways…

After my gap year I got my PPL and went straight to Auburn University. @Adam caught my little slip up there w/ my Flight Major statement. I’m still breaking a few thought patterns I developed in going to a 141 University haha. After earning my IR over there I ultimately decided to leave for a number of reasons to include cost, 141isms, and training structure. I came over here to ATP and while it is pricey, it’s nowhere near as bad as ERAU or AU or any of the other prominent 141 University programs. I’m a custom program at ATP and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the training so far. Currently I’m a CFI working on my CFII.

Once I complete the program here I intend to get a CFI job and continue online with a Bachelors in Aviation Management from Middle Georgia State University. I figure all of my credits taken elsewhere transfer into this degree so I might as well continue w/ the aviation college degree anyways. I know of an instructor who’s currently doing this with Metro State here in Denver and he (a bright dude) told me it’s pretty darn difficult to manage. Unfortunately I don’t really have much of an option here so I’ll follow in his footsteps and make it work, even if that means taking classes part time.

There are definitely pros and cons to getting your PPL elsewhere. I’ve seen many of my fellow students who’ve done the full program at ATP “get it” a lot better than those who’ve come in from elsewhere. They mesh with the program quite well because, let’s face it, the program is where they established all their habits. For me, I don’t regret my choice to get my PPL at a local place and my IR at a university. I think the variance in training styles acted as another learning experience for me. I can’t say I’d recommend it to others however. If you can help it, I’d try to get your PPL at ATP. Always nice to train in nice well kept newer planes from the get-go :slight_smile:

Hope I helped, Mohsina!

TL;DR Try to get your degree before you come to ATP. Gap year is an entirely personal choice that in the long-term will effect seniority at whichever airline you choose. And I’d recommend shooting for PPL-MEI all done @ ATP if you can help it.

2 Likes