Does speaking multiple languages help you land a job at a major?

It seems I’m not the only Russian speaker here, that’s new for me (I’m actually ethnically Russian myself, but born in the states).

I’m curuious, when it comes to actually flying internationally, does it help to at least know a few relevant words in a few languages? Does it often happen where ATC and crews at a foreign airport speak in their native language between one another? Or is this a relatively rare occassion?

Dan,

In some countries ATC will speak to other crews in the native language, so you could pick up some situational awareness from listening in on that, but you would also need to be proficient in the technical language of Russian ATC.

I had an FO say something in Spanish to a controller in Mexico once. I immediately shut that down, he told me that he was only talking about some soccer team, but as I explained to him, I have no idea if you are talking about soccer or accepting a clearance, it needs to be 100% English in a US based cockpit.

Chris

2 Likes

Dan,

As Chris said I have heard on very rare occasions controllers speak to pilots in some language other than English. First its not necessary nor appropriate and second you’ve now got at least one other crewmember and all the other airplanes in the area our of the loop.

Adam

2 Likes