Domicile/aircraft Selection based on age

I recently came across an article in which someone stated that something like, at their regional domicile/aircraft selection was based on age. Essentially the older class members got to pick first.

Is that common practice? Maybe I didn’t understand what I was reading.

Asking for a friend!

Samuel,

What you’re talking about is seniority within a newhire class. Everything at the airlines is based on seniority and your seniority is based on your date of hire which is your first day of class. Obviously though if you’re in a class of 30 you can’t all have the same seniority so the airlines generally have 2 methods of determining seniority within the class. Most use date of birth, so yes the older pilots will be more senior within the class and therefore get first pick. The other method is the last 4 numbers of your SS# but the same rules apply.

Adam

1 Like

Adam

Thanks for the info… I don’t guess it’s something I have to worry about anytime soon, just curious. Thanks again.

Samuel,

As Adam said, that is seniority within class. United started 60 new pilots last week, since they all started on the same day, there has to be a way to order those 60 pilots. The most commonly used method is birth date.

For those 60 new pilots, they had thirty 737 slots, twenty A320 positions and ten 757 positions. The newsier students bid on those positions based on their seniority in class, as determined by their birthdays.

Chris

1 Like

Chris,

Is there ever a situation where someone is “forced” into a plane they don’t want? For example, you’re the 5th youngest in that class and all that’s left is 757 and you don’t want 757. Also, how does this work with seat locks? (I believe I read somewhere you can bid up with no restriction but there is a restriction on bidding down)

Ben

Ben,

Of course it happens but “forced” is a strong word. No one has a gun to your head and you could say no and possibly wait for a future class date or just quit (both really bad decisions). Most people don’t and just suck it up. It actually happened to me when I got to Hawaiian. I was assigned the 717 which only flies interisland. I had wanted a widebody slot but missed it by one number. I was really bummed because I had come from a Regional and this seemed like more of the same flying. I of course took it thinking 2yrs isn’t so bad and I’ll bid out afterwards. It actually turned out to be the best thing that could’ve happened. You see I had no interest in flying interisland. Had I got the 767 I would’ve gone from that to the 330 and never tried the 717 which turned out to be the best gig in aviation. I went to the 330 to check the box but went back to the 717 as quickly as I could hold Capt. I have almost no intention of leaving. Fact is had I not been forced into the 717 I never would’ve known what a great lifestyle it is which would’ve been my loss.

As for seat locks all airlines have them (usual 2yrs). You can’t really “bid up” (or out) from the airplane you’re locked on, but must airlines allow you to upgrade to Capt out.

Adam

1 Like