Driver's License

Is the lack of a driver’s license going to impair my chances of becoming a flight instructor at ATP?

Alberto,

If you have a US Passport, you’ll be fine.

Tory

Phew Thank you for the promptly reply, Tory.

-Alberto

1 Like

Alberto,

As Tory said it’s not a problem getting hired as an instructor but it does beg the question how are you going to get to/from the airport? Also when you apply to the airlines they always request a copy of your driving record so again there will be questions?

Adam

Thanks for the reply Adam.

I currently just have a permit and plan on getting a license after becoming a flight instructor but before reaching the 500 hour mark to apply for the airline reimbursement program. At this point in time, it is more economical for me to just use other means of transportation rather than having the expenses of owning a car. I live about 28 miles away from the Ft. Ld./Miami ATP flight school location, which is roughly a ~3 hour commute in public transport. It’ll be a sacrifice, but one I’m willing to make.

-Alberto

Alberto,

With all due respect, this is a really bad idea. Six hours per day of commuting is not realistic, there is no way that you can reasonably do that and I am willing to bet that public transit does not run all hours of the day and night, which you would need.

While ATP does not require somebody to have a car, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that you absolutely need one to be successful in training.

Chris

1 Like

Hi Chris,

That is most unfortunate. It seems I’ll have to do some serious re-planning…

Thank you all for the advice; truly invaluable.

-Alberto

Alberto,

Just some general life advice here. It looks strange to a potential employer when somebody does not have a driver’s license. Fact is, the vast majority of people have one and it seems odd when somebody does not, regardless of the reasons. Even if you do not buy a car, I would still get a license.

Chris

1 Like