Early Study Material & Medical Certificate

Hello everyone.

I will not be starting at ATP until next year, but I would really like to know if there is anything I could study between now and the next 6 to 8 months (that won’t completely go over my head) before I take on the FAA written exams.

Also as for the first class medical certificate, when must this be taken?

Fernando

1 Like

Fernando,

Taking as many written tests before your start date is a great idea. If you want something else to study, I would purchase a used set of King Schools videos and watch those.

You will need to have your First Class medical in hand before enrollment. So, schedule your exam a few weeks before you know you will be ready to enroll.

Tory

1 Like

Fernando,

Honestly I wouldn’t go crazy but if you want to start getting familiar the FAAs entire library is available free and online and they have some good books (I’d start with The Airplane Flying Handbook and The Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge) https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/

As Tory said you only NEED your medical before you enroll BUT if you have any concerns about passing you might want to get it early to be certain.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you both for the information.

Where might I find a used set of the videos? I have checked Craigslist but nothing there. Amazon has following.

However its VHS and I just don’t have that type of tech. Lol.

I weighed in on the first of the month and I’m currently at 348 lbs. Down from 394 since Jan 1st. I know the requirement is 250 lbs but do I apply early or apply when I’m at 250 lbs? Soon as I hit 250 I’ll go in for medical certificate.

Fernando

Try Ebay.

Adam

Have you checked eBay? I would get your weight down first, Fernando.

Tory

That’s the plan Tory. Can’t do much until that’s done first. I want to at least get some basic knowledge as early as possible.

Just checked eBay and it’s all VHS format. I’ll do some more searching later to see if I can find them in another format.

Also had a quick question concerning apple products. I saw an iPad is required for when taking the course. Is that provided or am I better off getting one sooner? Also I’ve always been an Android user but I’m curious if anyone has experience using an android phone and iPad for the course? Any issues, or would I be better off changing to Apple altogether?

Fernando

Fernando,

Check eBay for the videos.

You are not eligible to apply until you are under 250lbs.

Chris

Fernando,

No need to change to Android products, you will do fine with that kind of phone and an iPad.

Chris

I copy and pasted this from a poster on these forums:

"My suggestion is to stick to the Study Buddy for now and try to get the written out of the way as soon as you start at ATP. Other than that, you can start reviewing the following materials:

From the C172 Training Supplement (part of the training bundle):
-C172 systems
-Normal Takeoff and Landing profiles
-Stabilized approach philosophy
-Private In-Flight maneuvers (Clean/Landing Configuration Flows, Steep Turns, Slow Flight, Power On/Off Stalls, Emergency Descents)

From the Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (AKA “the PHAK”):
-Chapter 4: Principles of Flight
-Chapter 5: Aerodynamics of Flight
-Chapter 7: Aircraft Systems
-Chapter 10: Weight & Balance
-Chapter 12: Weather Theory
-Chapter 14: Airport Operations
-Chapter 15: Airspace

This material will all be covered during training, so don’t worry if some of the reading doesn’t make complete sense, but try to get a basic understanding of these topics, it will allow your instructor to better utilize the time during ground instruction and make it easier for him to dive deeper into each subject with you"

2 Likes

try this

and this

1 Like