Embry Riddle Fall of 2019 student

Greeting everyone,

I have a question for everyone that is able to help. I have been stressing about the idea of being able to find a job postgraduation at Embry Riddle. I’m going to study Aeronautical Science and I want to be able to learn how to fly in order to get to the airlines. A lot of people are expecting me to fail and I just want to be safe and know that I will be able to find a job after and I won’t be just sitting there with debt in my pocket.

Thank you, Andrea Gamez

Andrea,

I just answered you on the other thread.

Adam

Andrea,

Welcome to the forums. Currently there is a rather large pilot shortage and people that successfully complete their training, check all the right boxes and interview well are being hired.

I have to ask, why are a lot of people expecting you to fail? That does not seem like a very supportive attitude.

Chris

Well long story short, certain members of family really want me to pursue medicine. I went to a Biotechnology High School and they really thought I was going to go with medicine since they believe it’s the only way to be truly successful. My parents studied aeronautics in Honduras and they support me. However, my aunts think I’m wasting my time and they aren’t really being supportive. Adding to my stress and my fear of failure. I’m aware that there is a pilot shortage, I’m just trying to figure out what is it that I have to do to be guaranteed a spot at the airlines when I’m done with my education. Is it possible to be a first officer post bachelor’s graduation?

Andrea,

There are no guarantees in aviation, but there are no guarantees in medicine either.

I am not sure exactly what you are asking in your question, but to be a first officer at a regional airline in the US, you will need to have the appropriate FAA licenses and 1,500 hours of flight time.

Chris