Employability as a 51 te old female

I’m hoping to find a new career flying. I am 51 year old female and want to verify that when I complete the program I will be employable? Can someone please tell the truth. I am a great student and am don’t foresee studying as a problem. I’m worried about my age and job possibilities.

Kim,

First and foremost if you’re looking for guarantees aviation is not the career for you. I’m not saying being a pilot is rock science but it’s not driving a car either. If you were to struggle through the program, bust checkrides and fail exams, no you would not be employable. Not trying to dissuade you but there seems to be this idea going around that a person has simply has to pay the price for training and “poof” they’re a pilot! That’s simply not so. BUT, if you’re willing to work really hard and have average intelligence and coordination you should be successful and yes if you do well you will be employable. That said if you have visions of flying being a 787 Capt flying to Tokyo that’s probably not happening. Mandatory retirement is 65, if you started training today at 51 you could be at a Regional by 53-54 which leaves you 11-12yrs to fly. Not bad but the truth is you’ll never make the top salaries or Capt the heavy equipment. I recommend you visit our FAQs where we get into the how’s in greater detail. https://airlinepilot.life/c/Ask-your-questions-and-get-real-answers-from-real-pilots/frequently-asked-questions

Adam

I appreciate your response and especially the response from your former post on age division and upward potential restrictions.
If My goals were to remain Regionally minded and not anticipating flying over Japan would I be safe to assume that I could make a living and support myself?

Kim,

Obviously I have no idea regarding your finances, expenses etc. As a Regional pilot you’ll spend 2-4yrs as a First Officer earning around $40-50k, after upgrade you’ll be in the mid $70-80k range. Only you know if that would be enough to support yourself.

Adam