Endeavor Airways

Hello all! My name is Sebastian Rodriguez, I’m 18 and a student at ATP and I’m about one week short of my private pilot check-ride. I’m very excited progress throughout the course and continue on as a CFI and then to regionals and of course majors. I’ve been looking a lot at different regionals to maybe enroll in their cadet program when I get my Private pilot cert. Had a question on Endeavor Airways, anything helps. Question is, do you need to have a college degree to apply to their regional cadet program? I know regionals tend to not care about degrees. I was planning on getting my degree throughout my regional time. Anyone know or have a clue to this? Thank you in advance!

Sebastian,

Welcome to the forums! Endeavor does not require a degree for their cadet program, so you are good there. I am glad that you are planning on getting one later though, I think that is a really good idea.

Good luck with the private pilot check ride, please let us know how it goes!

Chris

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Chris! And yeah, always wanted to start building hours the earliest I could and always had the idea for college in the regionals. Thanks for the info on Endeavor, its my goal to be transitioning there by 21. Will post an update on the check-ride!

Sebastian,
Glad you’re already looking towards applying to cadet programs. I recommend you apply to any/all you are remotely interested in. Why? Because today you may be full in on Endeavor but in 6 months you may be interested in Regional X, Y or Z. You’re allowed to apply to multiple and under no obligation to any carrier as long as you don’t take any financial incentives (aka tuition reimbursement). If you apply and get in, you’re just setting yourself up to have the best possible hire date at each regional and let yourself have options when it’s time to make a decision on which regional to go with.
-Hannah

1 Like

Sebastian,

I’m with Hannah on this one. You have your eyes set on Endeavor but I’m curious as to why? Not that there’s anything wrong with Endeavor but there are a variety of reasons pilots choose a particular carrier. Some are better than others. Thing is you’re not going to be ready for a Regional for 3yrs and much can change in that time. I’d be reluctant to get locked into anything until I was much closer to actually being there. If the Regional you want is hiring it won’t be a problem and if they’re not you’ll be glad you looked elsewhere.

Adam

1 Like

Hello Sebastian!

None of the regional airlines require a four year degree. I agree with the others, you should wait and see how you feel once you get a little further in your program. Convincing yourself this early on in the process that you wanna fly for a particular airline just isn’t necessary nor is it wise. A lot can change in the next couple years, including your own reasons for choosing an airline. I would rather see that you keep your options open. You should, of course, have your top three choices in mind. Hope for the best, but your preferred airline may not offer you a position and you will need to be prepared to decide if it’s worth reapplying or to except an offer from your number two or number three preferred airline.

Tory

1 Like

Hello All! Thank you for all the responses and different perspectives! Sorry I couldn’t get back to you all sooner, been a little busy. Passed my Private Check-ride and currently have my instrument check ride next week. As to the question I asked before, you are all right I should keep my mind open as to which regional to go with I have plenty of time to think on it. Another question I had in mind was, what do you look for when applying to any airline. For instance benefits, flow programs, etc. Thank you all again for the time and advice! Hope to hear from you all soon!

Sebastian,

Do your research but I think you’ll find most of the Regionals are pretty comparable pay and contract wise due to the necessity to compete.

For me it was always about bases (to avoid commuting) and where I thought I’d end up. Fact is if you want fly for Delta eventually, if you fly for one of their Regionals (whether there’s a flow or not) you’ll have the opportunity to work in their system and interact with their other work groups. Pilots like to commute on their own metal so you’ll get to meet many Delta pilots which is good for networking. You’ll meet their other work groups and get an idea of the kind of culture you’ll be operating in. Very helpful in making your final decision.

Adam

1 Like

Hey Sebastian!

It’s good to hear from you. Congrats on the checkride pass!

First of all I just want to point out that we are living in a time where pilots actually have the luxury of choosing which airline they would like to fly for. It’s not uncommon these days for pilots to have multiple offers and have the luxury of being able to choose which airline that they would prefer.

That said, typically the things to look for are bases, fleet, upgrade times and pay scales.

For me it was all about bases as well. I wanted to move to Seattle or Portland. ATP set up it’s a Tuition Reimbursement Program with Horizon Air. So for me it was a no-brainer.

Tory

Sebastian,
What a great update! One down and nearly a second… nice work! I know it’s fun to think so far down the line but for now, focus on the ratings right ahead of you. The earliest you can apply to cadet programs is commercial. Some even require a CFI. Keep chatting with people. Seek advice where you can and just do research on your own. You’ll start to figure out what your own priorities are and that will provide a clearer picture for you.
Initially I was focused on bases but after the Covid year, I valued company culture and stability much higher than before. I wanted to get in with a company that would take care of me and who had employees that enjoyed going to work everyday. Believe it or not, a lot of regionals have terrible cultures because they know pilots don’t stay so they don’t invest energy in making it a great place to be.
-Hannah

Sebastian,

Congratulations on passing your PPL, that is a huge accomplishment!

As for airlines, I would first and foremost find one with a base that you could see yourself living in. The best contract in the world is only so great if you have to commute across the county to get to it. Beyond that I would look at pay, quality of life issues and the possible paths to the majors.

Good luck with the instrument check ride!

Chris