Equipment Transition

Good Evening,

First I want to say Thank You to Adam, Chris and Yarden (in no particular order). I have been hiding in the shadows taking everything in and reading as many Questions, Topics and Tidbits as possible from everyone and thoroughly enjoying the forum. I flew in High School and stopped due to money constraints and now at 29 looking at a career change and going back to my first dream.

Now to my question; How do you transition from CFI in a ME Prop to a FO in a Regional Jet? Is it as simple as a TypeRating or do the Regionals send you back to school for training with jets?

Hi Tom,

Actually it’s kinda both since the training for your Type rating is you going to school to learn jets (or at least the one particular jet (or more accurately turbo-fan) you’ll be flying. During your airline training you’ll learn about turbine engines (suck, squeeze, bang, blow) and the associated systems (pneumatics, electrical, hydraulics, fuel, ice detection/protection, fire detection/protection, flight controls etc) as well as learning how to fly the plane itself. The training is quite extensive which is why it’s affectionately compared to drinking water from a fire hose. Honestly I found the transition from ME prop to the jet the most challenging (albeit rewarding) training of my life. The good news is most turbine aircraft are actually quite similar so after you get done with the first one the rest are fairly simple.

Great question.


Thank you Adam. I had a feeling that’s what it was but figured why not ask the pros since you guys are here for us!!


Welcome to the forums and thanks for your positive feedback! It is nice to know that what we are doing here is a benefit to people like yourself.

To your question, to be technical, yes it is as simple as a type rating and having your ATP. The FAA is really only concerned that you have an ATP and a type rating for the specific aircraft. That being said, the regional airlines know that most of their pilots are coming from a general aviation background and as such provide more in depth training to get you up to speed on turbine engines and systems, high altitude aerodynamics and so forth.

Thanks for the question, keep them coming.