Faa Checkride PPL

Hey guys, I been on here since 2016 when I was only 15. I’ve come so far and finally I am onto my FAA PPL checkride this upcoming Monday. I just passed my in house checkride at my school. I am definitely very nervous, any tips? I appreciate any advice, thanks for all the help these passed few years!

Alex,

Hopefully your “in house” checkride was tougher than the actual ride will be? Many instructors (myself included) like to over-prepare their students. If they did that should give you comfort and help you relax. Aside from that you should be chair-flying and visualizing all the maneuvers in your head from start to finish. The best remedy for nerves is being well prepared. If you are there’s really nothing to be nervous about.

Adam

1 Like

Know every single question & answer in the ASA blue oral prep guide book and you’re golden.

1 Like

Congrats on getting to this point Alex! That’s a huge accomplishment and think of your checkride day as a day to show off all you’ve learned and how far you’ve come. You know exactly what to expect and how to prepare reviewing the ACS. Know that it’s nothing you haven’t done up until this point. Think of the oral as simply a conversation. Try not to over-explain any questions… it just opens a Pandora’s box for the examiner and it could get you down a nasty rabbit hole. Just answer the question presented as simply as you can. In the flight portion, do everything the way you’ve been trained. Take your time setting up maneuvers and don’t hesitate on a go around on any of the landings if something doesn’t feel right. Best of luck! Keep us updated!

-Hannah

1 Like

Thank you all so much, I appreciate all the advice !

Alex,

Best of luck on your first checkride, it only gets better from here! Take this checkride as a foundation of what to expect on further checkrides (if you pursue further). Echoing what Hannah stated, take your time setting everything up, taking a few extra seconds to get that set-up is key for maneuvers. As well as your landings, prove to your examiner that you truly have what it takes to start that plane up and shut it down. Constantly talking through things you’re doing will show a great attitude and will set the foundation of the checkride; heck it may even not give the DPE to ask you any questions in flight! :smiley:

Some things that I highly recommend is just refreshing yourself daily of things that could be asked, if you have ever been aware of Pilots Cafe, they have a Private Pilot review that you could ask family members here and there to ask questions from and will keep material fresh. This is the biggest challenge I felt during my private (outside of ATP) and this is what ATP does great for us students is keeping material fresh in our head. We have the ability to interact daily with other students and instructors.

I’ve done 4 checkrides and I still those checkride nerves, they exist forever. It’s normal to be stressed prior to a checkride, in all reality, we’re paying big bucks to do something and we want to make it right the first time. [As I type this I have an add-on checkride to my Flight Instructor tomorrow - this is a way I relieve my stress :slight_smile: ]

Best of luck!
Brady

1 Like

Alex,

I too get nervous before every checkride. In fact, I don’t know a single pilot that doesn’t. Somebody mentioned before that it’s what you do with those nerves that makes the difference. Thankfully, the Examiners know that the applicants are nervous. If they are a good Examiner they should try to make you feel comfortable during the checkride.

During your checkride if you find that you may be allowing your nerves get the best of you, you are probably not focused on the present, but rather focused on something that has or hasn’t happened. So, stay present and try your best to have fun.

Tory

1 Like