Failed Checkride

Hello all. I’m currently at ATP in Southern California . I failed my PPL and Instrument as of today. I have my instrument recheck in a week. Both were due to minor issues during oral. Included map readings and cross country , in Which I didn’t over prepare my self for it and overthinked the question and busted . I almost thought about giving up today thinking this Will lower my chances of future Airline placement. Any words of wisdom to push through and it won’t effect my career?
This isn’t a good feeling at all. My dream of being a pilot got crushed a bit today…

1 Like

Shayan,

While no one likes to bust, it does happen and 2 isn’t a career breaker. That said you really do need to stop the trend.

The fact that you busted both on the oral speaks volumes. Clearly it’s not that you don’t have the skills, orals are knowledge based and that’s purely a matter of study, preparation and desire to succeed. You’ve got the oral prep guides, you need to know them inside and out, cover to cover. If you don’t then you haven’t studied enough.

Rather than quit, why not challenge yourself to do better? Good enough is not an option and the FAA doesn’t just hand out these certificates as people’s lives are on the line. I know it’s easy to say but you need to shake this off and getting busy working. It’s only over if YOU decide it is.

Adam

3 Likes

Shayan,

In my experience, people do not fail due to minor issues. Typically very small issues are corrected along the way. Examiners usually fail people for larger issues, although might only list something small on the reason list,

Yes, this will make your chances of future airline employment? Probably not. Another bust will though, so you really need to get into the books and start studying.

Chris

1 Like

Shayan,

It’s most concerning that your failures are in the oral portion and I’ll tell you why. That’s 100% in your control. There is an ACS telling you all the things you need to know and can be asked and guide books with all the answers. It’s up to you to study and be accountable for that knowledge.

You need to use this time as a wake up call. You can’t keep headed down this path or you’ll be looking at a third bust. Plus, if you keep these habits you won’t be successful in initial training at an airline. The highest washout rate is in the ground training portion because you have to absorb an immense amount of knowledge in a short time with no hand holding. Better to figure it out now and course correct then 4 busts later and struggling through initial 121 training.

Hannah

Shayan,

As the others have said, this is your chance to turn things around. It only gets harder from here.

The knowledge portion of aviation should not be underestimated. The best advice I have is this: What does an ATP student need to do to be successful?

Tory

Shayan,

There are hundreds if not thousands of resources out there to assist you with knowledge and practicing the material. From reading your post, it seems you did not spend enough time or properly using the ACS. The ACS is the testing material, everything in the book is potential for testing. If you can jot a note for every single knowledge and risk management element, you are well ahead of the game than just memorizing everything. I always said to students during mock checkrides, I want you to come to the oral portion with everything, that includes ACS, your paperback books, POH, and a TABBED FAR/AIM.

Ultimately it is up to you to improve on what you already found is a weakness. Spend some time in the Commercial ACS and ensure you can be able to give an example for every element under an area of operation/task. Ask fellow students/instructors at your location to do mock grounds, someone has to be around and willing to do some extra practice. As they say, practice makes perfect, right?

Brady