Failed Instrument checkride

Just have my checkride this morning, oral went great he said I am very well prepared, first two approaches were good as well. The problem was when I did a touch and go for the second approach and call the ATC for the third one I started to get dizzy. At this point, I should probably ask for a discontinue, but I keep going, ask for a full publish with a hold. The ATC gave me vector to direct the VOR, I turned and direct then I suddenly just felt really dizzy to the point I wanted to throw up. I asked for discontinue the DPE said since I started the procedure already, he can only give me a disapproval if I stop at this point. I told him ok I will keep going, but I didnt realize at this point the aircraft is already over the VOR, he was nice and told me just turn to the outbound leg on the VOR, which I did, and when we finished the turn he ask shouldnt I start the timer, I lost focus and situational awareness at this point, and told him we are not over the VOR yet, and when he said we are, it was the moment I realize this is dangerous, I cannot operate the aircraft safely at this point. so I told the DPE I want to discontinue or stop the checkride. He had me fly back to the airport with the hood off, circle to land, and I went to restroom to throw up. I failed the checkride, but I schedule the retest already, and he told me my skill are good, just body failed today, no big deal.
I came down I reviewed what I did, my take on this experience would be don’t be too nervous, I was really nervous last night to the point I couldn’t sleep well, definitely try to bring a bottle of water on to the plane, and eat some snack after the oral just to recharge yourself. I ate my breakfast at 7, and finished the oral by 12, if I ate something between oral and the flight this probably would be different result.
I don’t blame the DPE either, he was nice, and he was trying to help me to pass, but sadly this is just a bad timing for me…

Jacob,

It’s unfortunate but def not the end of the world. I ALWAYS have a few bars in my flight case and always keep well hydrated, this is essential. The only thing I’d add to your self critique is you obviously should’ve let the examiner know as soon as you weren’t feeling well. Dizzy and nauseous doesn’t mix with flying and unless you eat, drink or stop it doesn’t get better it gets worse. Lesson learned, now the most important thing is to let it go and move forward.

Adam

Jacob,

I find that a light snack in between the oral and checkride is always a good idea. It doesn’t even have to be healthy, something with lots of energy in them (Skittles) always works well for me.

Chris

1 Like

Thank you Adam and Chris for the feed back. Took the retest this morning, passed. It was relatively easy compare to the training. Lesson learned, going to move forward. Like Adam said, unfortunate that I going to have a fail on my record, but as far as I know it really is not a career ending in any mean, I am just gonna forget about this setback and aim to pass future checkride the first time. Of course, I will always bring some snack and water with me every flight from now on :stuck_out_tongue:.

1 Like

Jacob,

I am glad to hear that you passed your retest. These things happen, now just press forward.

Chris