Fast Track with Credit for Private Q's

Good morning!

Looking to get some information regarding the 100 hr Multi option, I am looking at a start date in August. I have my PPL with around 200 hrs.

I have been out of flying for several years, starting a family, getting married, etc. If I do a BFR, is there a certain amount of currency within a given time frame I need to have? Just wondering if I will have to do some sort of checkride to establish currency before beginning training and getting credit for the PPL since I have been away from flying for some time. The second question, if I choose the 100hr multi-option, will I do crew in a Seminole to build that extra time, it looks like you get the Multi add-on to private, then begin training on Instrument. Lastly, is the 100hr option worth the extra $$$? Will it make me more competitive when it comes to hiring to offset the initial cost and be worth the investment?

I am looking forward to joining the ATP family soon!

Thanks,

Cameron,

Good questions so let’s get you some answers:

1. By having your PPL you’re in a position to save some time and money which obviously is a good thing. The caveat is you’ll be diving into the same program as others who just completed their PPL training yesterday and you’re expected to have comparable skills and knowledge. The Career Pilot Program is highly accelerated and there really isn’t a whole lot of time alotted to play catch up. The positive is (and I know this from personal experience having not flown for almost 10yrs when I started the program) it really does come back quickly. If I were you I’d get your BFR, do a lot of reading to get your knowledge back and do a little flying and you’ll be fine.

2. Yes the crewing will take place in the twin for crewing which is really a blast. You’ll fly faster and farther. In addition to building the time it’s a tremendous confidence builder.

3. I believe it is. You’ll have that much more time and experience training in a complex airplane which will make you a better pilot. Whether or not you’ll be more competitive or not depends on your goals. If you plan on the traditional route of flight instructor to Regional frankly the Regional don’t really care. If however you’re not looking to instruct and build your time flying corporate or cargo then they will most certainly be looking for the additional twin time. Additionally by taking the 100hr option you’ll have the opportunity to instruct for ATP in the twin which means even more multi time and higher pay.

Adam

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick response, Adam. That is great insight and I appreciate you taking the time to answer for me. I am going to go forward with the 100hr option and begin studying for all the writtens now so I can knock those out before my start date.

Thanks again!

Cameron,

Welcome to the forum! Let’s get to your questions.

You need to arrive to ATP fully current as a Private Pilot, meaning you could pass the PPL checkride today. Whatever amount of flying you need to do to accomplish that is what you will need to do.

If you do the 100 hour multi program, you will do your cross countries in the Seminole. While this program is certainly not mandatory and is not necessary to accomplish getting all of your ratings, I do highly recommend it. It is not necessary to do this program if you goal is the regionals, but where it comes in handy is if you are NOT going to instruct for ATP, or desire to go into the corporate side of things.

On another note, it is great if you can get your writtens done before hand, but I would by no means delay your program to do such. The program is designed to accomplish the writtens while in training and many students do so.

Chris

1 Like

Cameron,
I think the 100 hr multi is a wise choice if you have the finances to do it. You’ll be more qualified and have more opportunities available to you after completing the program.
Let us know if you have any other questions along the way and keep us updated when you get a class date set.
-Hannah

Thanks Hannah and Chris for the additional information, it’s invaluable having you all at our disposal.

Last question about the scheduling… I would be willing to start the program at the Richmond location sooner, however, I have two vacations planned, one in June and one in July. They are both long weekend type trips, one out to California and one to Jamaica. If I did start sooner, does ATP work with my current trips planned?

Best,

Cameron,

It’s best if you have a clear calender going in. While ATP will permit a weekend or 2, if those vacations fall at critical point in your training (ie, just prior to a checkride) it could be a problem. I’d wait.

Adam

1 Like

Cameron,
Weekend trips can be scheduled around but so early on in your training, I worry the gaps wouldn’t be setting you up for success. Recency is so important especially in the beginning when you’re building muscle memory. I think it would be best to wait, get as many writtens complete in the meantime and start once you’re calendar is clear.
-Hannah

Cameron,

I would wait until your vacations are over. You really need to be able to focus 100% of your attention to your training.

Chris