Female at 42

Hi, I am 42 years old female. Would I be too old to transition into Pilot?

Reka,

This is probably our most frequently asked question and i recommend you visit our FAQ section for more details.

Short answer is no, you’re definitely not too old provided you’re realistic about your expectations. Chances are you’re never going to be a 787 Capt for Delta but you could have a very nice career.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you. I am realistic as I had many careers along with 2 degree and speak numerous languages. I am already studying AIM haven’t flown yet, cleared on health. Obviously, it’s very expensive to take flight classes. I am very content to fly region airline like skywest. If I make it to a major airline I would be stocked.
Would you have any suggestions where to begin?

Hi Reka,

We always suggest that people start educating themselves with the articles we wrote for our FAQ section: Frequently Asked Questions - Airline Pilot Life. That should give you a good bearing on expectations and where to begin.

Please let us know what additional questions you have!

Tory

Reka,

You make no mention of any flight experience and by that I mean sitting upfront at the controls of a small training airplane (no sitting in the back of a Boeing watching movies doesn’t count). If not your very first step should be to do that. ATP has a great intro flight program but if there is no ATP that’s convenient you can go to any local flight school and take a lesson or intro flight.

While chances are you’ll enjoy it, many people do not. There’s really not much point spending time reading ah studying until you do.

Adam

Yes its in the works. ATP super expensive.
Does helicopter counts? :laughing:

Reka,
While helicopter time may make you realize you enjoy being in the air, there are few similarities to airplanes. We suggest you take an intro/discovery flight in an airplane, have a feel of the flight controls and see what it will really take to be successful in flight school. When you say you’re cleared medically does that mean you have obtained your first class medical? If so, you need to get that. Your age is not an issue. You could still have a 20 year career. Plenty long enough to make it to a major and even upgrade to captain if that’s something you desire.
-Hannah

1 Like

Thank you so much. You are right, I don’t have the medical clearance, would you able to assist how should I go about it? I was thinking the same thing of the 20 years of career.

Absolutely, here is the link to find the nearest Aviation Medical examiner (AME).

https://designee.faa.gov/#/designeeLocator

Just call to make an appointment. Before you arrive create an account here on MedXpress and then apply for a first class medical. When you complete the form you will receive a confirmation number that you will need to take to your appointment.

Login

-Hannah

1 Like

On it. Thank you a bunch.

1 Like