Finally Enrolled!

Hi all,

So I have been on this forum since February of this year and I have read countless threads in order to prepare myself. From February to now i’ve worked day and day out to set myself up to take the leap into ATP’s Career Pilot Program. SO, the day has come and I am officially enrolled at ATP’s location on Long Island, NY for January 28th!

I’m posting this because I would like to pay it forward to members on this forum who may need some motivation to get started in pursuing their dream job. I honestly believe that each and every question asked on this forum, topic created, and student experience threads can help someone take that step towards their dream job, it most certainly did for me. So I plan on trying my best in keeping this forum updated on my progress from this point on. From now to January I will be finishing up my BA in Economics (2 classes remaining) and winding down my job at Delta Airlines. (I was lucky enough to get a LOA just to keep the flight benefits for my family while I am in ATP) Starting tomorrow, I will begin studying for my written exams and try my best to knock all of them out before my start date. Wish me luck!

Btw, anyone starting at the Long Island, NY location in January?

Best,
Jonathan

5 Likes

Jonathan,

Thanks for letting us know you signed up. I am glad that you plan to start working on the writtens, that will really help you to get ahead.

Chris

1 Like

Congratulation on your enrollment. The sky is the limit

1 Like

Hey! I am looking into enrolling at the Long Island location. Curious as to how they go about studying material and what needs to be done prior to the start date. Did you put money down and now have access to the study material for your written exams? I was planning on doing my PPL elsewhere and then beginning ATP but now I am doing some research on doing it with ATP from zero time. I have already taken an intro with them a few months back and have my medical since. Also, I have been having trouble getting in touch with someone from this location over the phone. I’ve left multiple messages when I call the general # for ATP. Is there another way to get in contact with the school at this specific location? Curious to know about their availability and starting dates for the next coming months. Thanks!

Kimberly,

There are many threads on the subject but there are required modules to be completed prior to your start and we also recommend completing as many of the FAA Knowledge exams as possible to lighten the work load (there are 6). You will have access to all the study materials AFTER you enroll, select a start date AND pay your deposit.

As for the location, most are not staffed aside from instructors (and they’re generally flying or teaching ground if they’re there) so any questions you have you’re best off calling Admin directly 800- ALL-ATPS (800-255-2877). In fact they’re the ones who can best tell you availability etc.

Adam

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply Adam! I will give them another call tomorrow.

Hey All,

I haven’t been on here for some time now, mostly because I’ve been preparing for my start date.

So, the day has come, I started at the KISP location on January 28th. Today marks a month since I’ve been a student at ATP. I must say ATP has exceeded my expectations by a long shot, the instructors are very knowledgeable and are very driven to get you up in the sky. I’ve logged about 30 hours and over 100 landings so far. The northeast weather has been pretty harsh so I’ve had a good amount of canceled flights. However, the instructors are willing to fly on weekends to make up for any missed days (if weather permits). This location has pretty good DPE availability because they are about 4-5 Checkrides a week. Also, many students come to this location from neighboring locations to conduct their checkrides.

I am currently about 4 flights into my Solo prep stage, having completed my TOL Evaluation and PAR exam.

So far, the workload is exactly what I expected, fast paced. The key is to stay ahead, study and always ask questions when you are unsure. Checkrides come at you fast! I’m already preparing for my Checkride by trying my best to takeoff, land, perform performance/ ground referencing manuevers at the Checkride standards.

Hope this helps anyone who’s thinking about taking that leap, or thinking about the ISP location.

Jonathan

3 Likes

Jonathan,

Thanks for checking in. Glad things are going well. Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your progress.

Adam

1 Like

Jonathan,

Thank you for the update. Please continue to keep us in the loop as you go through the program.

Chris

1 Like

Hey there Jonathan,

I was wondering if you could tell me more about the Long Island location. ISP is the closest airport to me that offers the program, however, I would love to hear the accounts of your experiences there. I’m beginning my first steps in the application process and would greatly appreciate any information about your training at this location so far.

Thank you!
Kyle

2 Likes

Hi Kyle,

Sorry for the late response! The ISP location is great in my opinion. Theyre about 5 instructors and they each have about 3-4 students. We have about 5 piper archers all equipped with g500’s and one Seminole as of now. Maintenance issues are usually straightened out pretty fast so you won’t have to worry about delays due to equipment. However, this is the northeast and we’ve been having some crappy weather that could set you back a bit. The good thing is, the instructors are almost ALWAYS willing to fly on weekends to make up for any missed days.

ISP is a class C airspace so it could be pretty hectic at times, but I honestly like it. The fact that it’s almost always busy forces you to be crisp on the comms, which is great.

As of right now, I’m about 10 days behind schedule because the weather has been relentless and Ive been waiting around to take my checkride. I just passed my private checkride on Saturday and I’m diving straight into instrument training tomorrow morning.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. Hope this helps!

Best,
Jonathan

Hey all,

Passed my instrument checkride today! Right on schedule and exactly 2 months after my Private Pilot checkride. Looking forward to crew!

Jon

Jon,

Congratulations, that is fantastic! Keep up the good work.

Chris

Nicely done Jon! Congrats!

Hello Jonathan,

I submitted a loan application through Sallie Mae and yesterday I was told I was approved. I’m thinking about starting the program in about 3 months from now but I want to be ahead of the game before I start the program. At what point did you start studying for written exams?, did you get your books few months before starting the program?, did you have access to the online modules?, how does it work?, I want to go into the program with knowing what to expect.

thank you in advance.

As soon as you sign up for a start date and pay the $995 deposit they mail you the goodie box with all study materials, books, t-shirts, etc. That comes in the mail in about 1 week.

As soon as you sign up though, (almost instantaneously), you get the welcome email that includes the login information for the Kings’ schools and Sheppard Air study website, so you can start studying as soon as you get that if you want.

Hey Diego,

I didn’t get to study for my writtens before my start date because I was in the process of finishing my undergrad. However, if you have the time, dedicate about an hour or two a day to study for each written, it should take you about a week or two to be ready (for each exam). It is definitely possible to knock all the written out in 3-4 months.

I would suggest completing all of the Private Pilot modules (if you’re starting from zero time, if not get the instrument modules done) on the ATP extranet and Kings schools before starting as well. Also, you should read through the Archer/Cessna supplement that ATP provides and get to learn the aircraft and procedures before your start date. That will make things a lot easier down the road.

Best,
Jon

Hey Jon,

Thank you so much for your advise. I?m really excited about starting the program but at the same time I?m a little nervous. I know this is a self study program and no-one is going to hold my hand thru it ,so I know I need to be very responsible
and be ahead of the game. At what stage are you in the program right now? And what do you think has been the most difficult part of the program so far?

I think managing your time is the key to success in the program. You get what you put in, a lot of people seem to want their lisences/ratings handed to them because of the money they’re spending. If you go into the program with that mentality, you will get chewed up and spit out. I’ve found the pattern of students who don’t do well in the program are the same students who are NEVER at the training center, don’t stay after their flights to study, or procrastinate.

That being said, I’m in the crew stage, I’ve completed my private and instrument stages and I’ve found the private to be a little harder than instrument. Some may disagree, but it really just depends on the student.

Staying ahead is exactly what you need to do. For example, I haven’t flown in 5 days because I’ve been waiting for a crew partner so I’ve used that time to study for my commercial written and review the material/maneuvers for the commercial stage.

Jon

Hello Michael,

Thank you so much for the info. I scheduled my intro flight for next week, hopefully everything goes well. Does the intro flight is going to determine if I’m accepted into the program?. I have done other discovery flights before with other schools and I felt very comfortable. Is the instructor expecting any knowledge from me during the intro flight?

Thank you