Finances while training

Hello,
I am looking to begin training within the next 6-7 months as I prepare finances with savings, liquidating some assets, and eliminating some other debt. So aside from the initial loan for training, I figured out what I need out of pocket for up front costs (gear, examiner fees, ect) I can pay for all of that and have some funds aside after that, but my main concern is maintaining finances for living life during the training. I will have vehicle loan payment and housing/food needs as well. My savings will not supply enough to cover all of this for the 9 months. I spoke with admissions, and was told I basically should not have any other job and need to M-F 8 hour days available at minimum. I understand this and am ready for the weekly requirements and sometimes weekends free, but what I am curious about is about the possibility of having at least a part time weekend job during training. I understand this is going to be mentally challenging and require many extra study hours, but is it possible to have a part time job while training to pay for these life necessities? How else does anyone eat at minimum with no other supplemental income? Maybe I need to postpone further to get more money saved. I greatly respect and appreciate all of the wonderful information on this forum and any replies are very, very much appreciated as well.

Thank you,

Nick

Hi Nick,

This is America and you can do whatever you want. BUT, I would STRONGLY advise you against working (even part-time) while training. The Career Pilot Program is a highly accelerated program and requires a tremendous amount of time, effort and self-study. While I appreciate the financial challenges of being unemployed, you also need to recognize you’re investing a large amount of money into your training and if you wash out due to fatigue, distraction or your inability to keep up that’s on you and that’s YOUR $66K you’re gambling with. Aviation is really not the kind of thing you want to “just get by” or barely pass. This is a serious vocation that has a fair amount of risk. The majority of people take their loans out for additional funds to cover living expenses. I suggest you think about that or postponing until you’re in a better position financially. That’s my 2cents but again it’s a free country.

Adam

1 Like

Nick,

It is not possible for you to have a weekend job during training or while you instruct. While the schedule is M-F for a good portion of the training, there are times when you will need to fly weekends, especially if weather has impacted your training schedule.

While I know that you are eager to get into the skies, I think that your best bet would be to save up your money and be able focus on your training without worrying about finances.

Chris

1 Like

Ok great, that’s what I needed to know. I will crunch some more numbers and figure out what other funding I need and a better time frame for starting. I thank both of you for the sound advice and input. Happy flying!!

Any time. Come back with any questions you may have.

1 Like