Real Answers from Real Pilots

Fin's Introduction

Hello,

My name is L’Zhae Finley, but i go by Fin because it is easier for people. I am a 26 year old black female and currently a truck driver. I was originally an automotive and diesel mechanic for 4 years. I was also in the army national guard for 6 years. I have an AS in Industrial Systems Technology and I am not sure if that will be a high enough degree for ATP. I am highly interested in going to the ATP school here in Raleigh, NC. I am very happy I found this thread and also happy to see other female pilots. It is very encouraging. I currently have a financial agreement with my trucking company so i have to wait 10 more months to apply. I am going to focus on getting the endorsements that I read about in this forum. I look forward to reading more forums.

Thank you

Fin,

Your work experience should be enough for ATP but know you will need a 4yr degree to be successful at the airlines. Without one you’d be severely limiting your options.

Adam

1 Like

Will I still be able to attend ATP and get the Bachelors degree after?

Fin,

While we generally recommend getting a degree first, you may of course get one after. As a matter of fact there are schools that will give you credit for your FAA licenses and ratings which will save you time and money. As long as you earn a degree before you apply to a Major.

I also recommend you visit our FAQ section where we discuss this and many other common questions.

Adam

1 Like

Fin,

Welcome to the forums! As you probably have already seen through ATP’s website and this forum page, there is a ton of resources, so welcome. An Associate’s is fine to start ATP, but like Adam said, you’ll want a Bachelor’s in the near future before applying to a Major.

Direct link to the prerequisites for ATP Flight School enrollment:
https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/admission-prerequisites.html

Thank you for your service in the Army National Guard.

Brady

1 Like

Welcome to the forums! Your education should be fine for ATP, just plan on getting a full four year degree at some point as the majors will want to see one.

Let us know how we can help you and thank you for joining us!

Chris

1 Like

Fin,
I’d like to welcome you to the forum as well! Always happy to see another female wanting to take to the skies:) Raleigh is a great atp location with a another female instructor there. Please let us know if you have any other questions on your first steps.

-Hannah

1 Like