First officer to Captain

Hey!!!
Does anyone know the average time it takes for a pilot to be promoted from first officer to captain at a regional such as endeavor air or psa air?

I know it depends on the flow to the majors but i was just wondering if there was a estimate and if there were requirements you needed to get for the promotion.

Thank you, Androu

Androu,

This really is an estimate and it can vary widely. Right now it seems like about two years, but that could change overnight if your airline grows/stops growing, gets new airplanes/retires airplanes, etc. I believe one must have 1,500 hours of part 121 (airline) flight time and 3,000 hours total to be a captain at an airline, but I am not 100% sure on that.

Chris

Androu,
I can’t speak to upgrade times for regionals with flow programs because they are extremely unpredictable.

I can tell you that at Skywest they generally look for 2500 hrs total time including 1000 turbine time and 1000 hrs with the company for Captain upgrade eligibility. Although the majors are pulling captains left and right so I’ve heard people getting upgrade bids with less time than that…
-Hannah

Androu,

A good way to get an idea is to on AirlinePilotCentral and look at year of hire for most junior Capt at the specific Airlines.

Adam

1 Like

Androu,

1000 hours of flight time at the company you work for is usually the minimum (with some exceptions), but that’s just flight time. Like the others have said it can vary. Rough estimate? 2-3 years.

Tory