First Plane

As I’m working through study material and watching the private pilot videos ATP has assigned to me I can’t help but get excited and wonder, do you start off flying one plane or another (Archer & 172) or do you switch back and forth? Reading through the POH as I watch some of these videos and I can’t help but wonder if I’m spending to much time on one vs the other. Trying to treat these 2 beautiful planes fairly!

Brandon,

Your location should either have 172s or Archers, you will not fly both (at least not in the early stages of the program). Call training support and ask which airplane you should be studying.

Chris

Brandon,

The location determines which single engine plane you will be training in. Find out so you can only study that one. No need to confuse yourself thinking speeds and limitations of an airplane you won’t be flying.

It will either be the archer or Cessna for all single engine checkrides. You’ll have a brief phase in a TAA (technically advanced aircraft) which can be either a Cessna or archer as well and then multi engine training will be in the Seminole. So you’re either Cessna then Seminole or archer then Seminole.

Hannah

Brandon,

As the others have said, it depends on your location. You didn’t happen to mention your location, but through ATP’s website you can navigate to the “Locations” and select your location. Use the link below and the interactive map to find your location, go to “Aircraft” tab and see if there are multiple options.

Brady

Update: I will be in the Piper Archer @ GKY

Excited for this because that was secretly the plane I wanted to start in, and that is based on absolutely nothing but looks to me and touring the inside of it on my intro flight (did my intro flight in the 172 though). :grin:

Brandon,

Don’t tell anyone but I’m with you. While no one can question the legacy of the Skyhawk, hi wing planes just always look like trainers to me, but let’s keep that to ourselves :wink:

Adam

2 Likes

Brandon,

I’m team archer too :slight_smile:

Hannah

1 Like

I have to chime in for the Cessnas here. They are the tried and true aircraft of the flight training industry and have helped produce hundreds of thousands of pilots. But either one is a great airplane,

Chris

Ooo-ooo! Add another vote for Archer!

2 Likes

Team Cessna!!! Spacious, stable, and most importantly…those views :heart_eyes:

Tory

Team Cessna all the way, because it has TWO DOORS. I bet you Team Archer guys couldn’t wait to be instructors so you wouldn’t have to do the side shuffle anymore. :smirk: