First week in the books for Zero Knowledge MKC

First week of ATP private pilot training is in the books. It went rather fast and I am excited for the rest of the program. Though I read through as many student forums as I could, I still felt as I was going into unfamiliar territory. Just being hours away from home and not knowing a single person here makes it a unique challenge. Enough about that, Some things that were pointed out or that I noticed in week one

1. Your Read/view/Do’s are key.
    If Your completing Your read view Do’s in the first week, a day or 2 a head of time you’re golden.

2. Ask questions.
    This ones pretty straight forward Training center is filled with people who are in all different stages in the program as well as CFIs. These are on of your best and most accurate resources because THEY JUST DID IT.

3. Don’t be afraid to go out and Start a Pre-flight early or get on Comms in the First week. You’re going to have to do and know these things anyway so why not start early?

I enjoy the atmosphere of learning taking place at least at MKC. Everyone wants everyone to succeed. I’m enjoying almost everything about the program so far, although First flight I did Get a little motion sickness. I have taken the steps I can to prevent that from happening any further and Hope to keep everyone Updated in the near future.

6 Likes

Great write up! What do the read/view/do’s entail?

Ben

1 Like

Alex,

Thanks for your initial week write up at ATP and as you quoted, it moves quite fast and by a blink of an eye it’ll be all over. Enjoy the time and memories you will create, make the friendships and do well which in returns means you’ve been successful in many aspects.

Motion sickness in the first few flights is common, it’s a new sensation and if you have no prior experience can tend to be a bit nerve racking. Make sure you’re eating light before a flight and staying hydrated as that will help. As you gain experience you will not only loosen your grip on the yoke, but be able to have relaxed shoulders and sit comfortably.

Read/View/Do’s are broken down for each lesson which provides students specific material to focus on for a lesson that is coming up. For example, in a maneuvers flight you want to make sure you review the configuration and flows while reading up on how to successfully perform a maneuver.

Alex, please keep us posted as you continue through your journey. We always enjoy seeing Solo pictures so don’t forget to take one after you solo.

Brady

3 Likes

Alex,

Great write up, thank you for sharing your experience. Please continue to do so as you are able.

Chris

1 Like

I got sick on my third and forth flight the first week. The first time I had an air sickness bag and the second I didn’t at minimums practicing TOLs lol. Had to ask my instructor to take the controls to finish landing on our 6th and last for the day. When I was going through what happened I realized it wasn’t motion sickness or heat but actually stress. There’s a lot going on your first time flying in the pattern. After I got the stressful first time out of the way I was able to just fly the plane and the flights became more enjoyable especially after you see the progress your making from each flight.

David

2 Likes

How are you progressing Alex? I start in a little over a month at MKC and I’m assuming you’ll be on the tail end of things by then.

Hey Raffaele! I’m excited to hear you will be starting soon! I am currently in the ground portion of CFI, but GKY the location I am headed to is quite backed up. They are estimating 8 weeks away from our home location so I will be gone for a while when you get here. By the time I’m back I will be on the last 3 weeks of the program. I look forward to meeting you in person, are you starting credit private or zero time?

Alex

1 Like

I’m coming in with my one hour of Introductory Flight Time! :wink:

Dang, how long are you supposed to be gone for CFI Instructor School? I’ve been talking to Koby on FB and he said he’s been down in Dallas and he’s had delays too cause of a nationwide examiner shortage. Too many new pilots hitting the airways I guess!!

Well maybe I’ll see you sometime in July sounds like you’ve been pretty close to on time up until this point.

Koby just got back from GKY this week, he is doing his checkride up here because they are so backed up on examiners. We have plenty of great instructors here and a consistent top 3 pass rate for training centers in ATP so you’re in good hand. If you can, knock out as many writtens as you can muster, it truly will help! See you soon!

Alex

I’m studying for my PAR now and hoping I can take the test in the next week or so. I’m definitely wanting to get as many as I can taken by we have a one year old and just moved back to the area to be closer to family. Coming from Wyoming and it’s been a lot getting all moved and situated. I was hoping to have thy PAR done already but we are finally getting settled and I’m visiting family in Rolla for the weekend and then I’ll be able to really start focusing!