Real Answers from Real Pilots

Flex Track

Hi All,

When I was looking to apply, I didn’t find many/any threads on the new Flex program. I decided to jump in relatively blind and see what happens. So, for the sake of others, I will give a little info on what I’ve found so far…

I started 9/28 with my PPL and was approved through Sallie Mae with a co-signer (my wife). I currently work full time and I was not going to give my job up quite yet, so this seemed like a good path. I am currently flying 3-4 days a week. The nice part is you can set your availability on the Student Extranet, so if you need to block out certain days/times, its user friendly to do so.

However, no one is familiar with the program so we are kind of working through any kinks as they arise. I’ve had a few scheduling conflicts come up that were quickly remedied by letting the training staff know. Although the minimum is 15 flight hours a month, I am around 35-40 so far. So the minimum is extremely easy to achieve. There is nothing different so far amongst the actual training environment being a Flex student.

The other unknown right now is how Crew and CFI will fit into the schedule. I know on the ATP website it says with an instructor, but no one at the training center knows how it will work out. Especially if you can only fly certain days. I will update that when we get more info.

If for some reason you want time off, you don’t have to worry about getting it “approved”, just block the time out and you’re good to go. I have a new baby on the way so the chance to slow down in the new few weeks will be nice to split training and family time.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

-Rick

2 Likes

Thank you Rick!

I know many perspective students have questions about the Flex program but since it’s new there aren’t too many real world answers. As with any new programs there are bound to be some creases to iron out but it sounds like ATP (in typical fashion) is taking care of them as they present themselves.

Thank you again for sharing. I’m sure you’re busy so it’s greatly appreciated.

Adam

1 Like

Rick,

Thank you for the detailed post, I am sure this will be much appreciated by those who are considering the Flex Track. Please continue to update us as you go through the program.

How is the flying itself going?

Chris

1 Like

Hi Rick,

Do you know if the Flex program is offered at all ATP locations?

It sounds like a good option and I remember years ago calling the ATP school in New Jersey and asking if they had something like this and back then it was the full time trainee program only. This was maybe around 2014.
Fast forward to 2020 and here it is! So not everything has been negative this year :slight_smile:

Randy,

The Flex Track program is offered at all ATP locations.

Chris

1 Like

Awesome!

Thank you Chris!

Chris,

The flying is going well, but man…instrument is no joke! It’s definitely a lot of information but I’m managing to keep moving forward. My progress eval is Thursday so I guess that will be a good gauge of where I’m at VS where I should be.

Rick

1 Like

Rick please let us know how it goes.

Adam

1 Like

Same boat as you. Totally a lot of info to know!

Any other strong feelings or first-person knowledge about the Flex program? Planning to give it a go next year at APA and (like everyone on this thread) just gobbling up as much info as possible. Went and visited the location abut 5 weeks ago, was impressed with the professionalism of the operation, though they didn’t have much info on the Flex quite yet.

1 Like

I know nothing about flex but enjoy APA! Lots of great instructors out here and hardworking staff/Mx. Some of the best learning experiences I’ve had I had out here dealing w/ the altitude and mtns.