Flight training Schedule

Hi, I’m 15 years old and am going to start flight school at a local school. I already have $4000 dollars put down so for right now so I don’t have to worry about cost, but what would you say is a good training schedule? For some background information, I get good grades and while education comes first I won’t have problems with getting overloaded as this is a do it at your own pace program. I work mornings during the weekends and don’t have anything after school for a couple of months. I also turn 16 in 4 months and want to have my first solo around that time. Thank you.

Jayvyn,

First I commend you on your work ethic and desire to start working on your chosen field. While training at your own pace may seem desirable, you need to know successful flight training requires consistency as each skill build on the last. For that reason I strongly recommend you fly at least 2 times a week (3 if possible). Less than that you may find yourself taking backward steps every few weeks.

Adam

Thank you, that’s what I was thinking also. I’m a first generation pilot so I’m new to flying and wanted advice from pilots that have been through the process.

Jayvyn,

Welcome to the forum. The research that I have done shows that the average cost of a private pilot license to be around $10,000, so you are going to be a bit short on the funds.

To be successful in flight training you really need to fly 2-3 times per week, any less than that and your skills will start to deteriorate. I would caution you though that your primary focus really needs to be on your school work.

Chris

Jayvyn,

I think 3x a week is the magic number. 2 is bare minimum. 4 or more takes more of a full-time effort. I also want to emphasize what the others have said. Aim to spend as close to $10k as you can and try to finish in no longer than 3 months.

Tory

Thank you, I think i should’ve specified that I have money saved for schooling like this but I want to keep that for later and save that money and work to pay it off. The 4 thousand is what is guaranteed put in.

Okay, as long as you know that it will cost a lot more than $4k.