Florida Flight Schools

Hi there I live in SW Florida and I would love to know good colleges and flight schools in Florida I want to be in college in about two years.

Leonel,

If you look at the top left section of this website, you will see that it is sponsored by ATP. All of the mentors on here trained at ATP and we volunteer our time here because we believe in the program they offer. That being said, no one flight school is right for everybody. I suggest you spend some time reading the FAQ section as that will help point you in the right direction.

Chris

Leonel,

As Chris said this is ATPs forum and all the mentors are former students and instructors. Needless to say we’re all pretty partial to ATP and I don’t believe there is a better flight school in FL (or anywhere else in the country). As for colleges I’m generally not a fan of college or university aviation programs as you’re putting all your eggs in the aviation basket and should flying not work out there’s not much you can do with an aviation degree. I recommend you finish school, get a degree in another field of study as a backup and then start your flight training.

Adam

Adam
Thank you for replying is aero engineering is good opinion because I would like to do that to.

I can respond to that. If you have the aptitude for engineering and can pull it off, you would have really good prospects for hire in the field right now. I say RIGHT NOW because the market is fluid and it can change in the blink of an eye. That being said, I suggest you look into mechanical engineering or electrical engineering. That gives you range of career possibilities from building automation and design to automotive to aerospace.
Due to shortage of qualified graduates, my firm has been hiring mechanical engineers as interns during the junior year of college. Most UCF mechanical engineering grads that did not minor in Partying have six figure salary job offers upon graduation with the likes of Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman etc.

Leonel,

I would encourage you to work on your spelling, grammar and punctuation. Yes, these things matter in the real world.

Chris

1 Like

Adam
I was thinking about taking my degree online. Will this allow me to study and go to flight school to get my hours?

Leonel,

Depends on the flight school. If you’re flight training part time then sure. If you’re looking to done quickly training full-time with a school like ATP the answer is no.

Adam

Not while you’re at ATP. And I’m certain the mentors will agree that it’s a recipe for failure. There’s a good video from Captain Sullenberger on multitasking. Look it up. It’s worth a few minutes of your time.

I have a bachelors and a masters degree. Flying is all I’ve wanted to do and I am taking a massive pay cut and making many sacrifices to make that dream closer to reality. Yet, I remember the times when my very first CFI made $6k in his first year instructing. I recall when regional FOs could qualify for food stamps. I remember when pilots were being furloughed by the hundreds and were taking massive pay cuts just to keep their airline flying. I also knew someone who flew for Braniff and a mechanic for Eastern. This industry can go bust very rapidly and I may have to rely on something else to pay the bills.
But there’s more… Majors like my dream airline UPS are very selective still. I work with aviation policy, safety and planning right now. I take really boring rules, regulations and policies and turn them into a little less boring documents and manuals. I also deal with instrument procedure design criteria. I fully intend to translate this into additional duties with my ATP and my first air carrier employer (regional, Ameriflight, etc) to assist them in providing better services to our clients, to earn my recommendations, and to set myself apart from the rest of the flock. Now all of this may sound like a brag or hot air to you, but let me ask you this: If you were on an interview panel for UPS and you had to fill a class of 20 future FOs and you were picking among ex-military pilots with command experience, regional captains with type ratings and 10k hours, people with work experience and solid backgrounds … and a guy with a degree from University of Phoenix, who would you pick first? Truth is, we all take a huge gamble on a career with a big debt. I don’t know about you, but I fully intend to get my $100ks worth and do all that is in MY power to get the dream gig, and not an “also ran”. I didn’t give you my $0.02, it’s a whole quarter.