Foggles

I don’t start the program until Bovember, but trying to get all my necessary gear before then. I need glasses for the first time in my life… ugh. Was looking around for some foggles that fit over eye glasses but couldn’t really find any that said that specifically. Anyone out there find a pair? Or did a regular set work just fine? Thanks to everyone that makes this forum great!

David,

How about a good old fashioned hood? Works with and without glasses.

Adam

David,

I am a fan of the hood as well, I never liked the foggles. I think that the hood is less distracting, while providing a more realistic experience.

Chris

Another vote for the hood from me! Looks silly but it’s the best. I had a pair of foggles, but after trying the hood I never went back.

Tory

Only if you’re planning on posting on Instagram, Twitter or the app du jour, if not you’re fine :wink:

Adam

1 Like

Least I’m not a cheater :wink::wink:

2 Likes

If you ain’t cheatin’ you ain’t tryin’ hard enough! :wink:

Adam

2 Likes

You guys crack me up with the banter, while still providing insight. I didn’t know the hood was an option, or even a thing. I’ll look into. Might hold off until I get to that phase, give me some time to listen to more of you jokes… I mean advice

2 Likes

I have to say I really like these ASA “Overcasters” that clip to your glasses and flip up and down: Link

They are cheap, lightweight, and easy to put on and take off. When your instructor asks you to put on your foggles you won’t even have to transfer them the flight controls while you fiddle with your hood or whatever else you might use. And when they say “go visual” you can flip them up really easily and not worry about screwing up your approach.

I’ve been using them for the past few weeks while I’m working on the instrument stage of the program (not sure why my account doesn’t say “verified ATP student,” but I am!) and I’ve been very happy with them.

1 Like

Ha! I love how it actually says, “makes ‘cheating’ difficult.”

1 Like

I second Noah’s reply. I just completed Instrument and used the ASA Overcasters. Very easy and simple to use and because you can flip them up or down in a second, you don’t have to mess around with having to take off foggles or a hood, you can concentrate on flying the plane instead.