Foreflight app for ATP

What would ATP students recommend when it comes to downloading the foreflight app? The basic app or the pro plus version?

Brian,

It’s a personal preference. I had Basic as a student and instructor. I
raise an eyebrow when I see a $100 difference just for geo-referenced
charts and synthetic vision.

Tory

1 Like

While I paid for pro and seeing your airplane on an approach chart is cool, it is by no means necessary and honestly, I have never used it for anything other than, “oh cool, look, there we are!”. It could help with situation awareness in some situations, but I haven’t found one yet.

1 Like

Brian,

I cannot speak for ATP students but I have the pro version. The only reason I initially got it was because I thought the basic did not include instrument procedures (which it does). That being said, I really like it. Our planes at my flying club have a lot of cool features and with the new ADS-B upgrade, we have a Bluetooth capability that does the same thing that a stratus would, so I get other traffic and synthetic vision on my iPad that includes hazard avoidance as well. It also automatically switches your map to the airport taxi diagram as soon as you land and geo-references your aircraft on the taxi diagram which is very handy, especially at bigger airports. I’m not sure what ATPs planes are like, but unless you have the stratus you won’t get weather or synth vision anyways regardless of the pro or basic version. I will say it is a great tool for situational awareness and is very helpful in actual IMC, but I think it may have a tendency to weaken your approach skills when all you have is a basic chart and a CDI. It definitely spoils a GA pilot. That’s my take on it anyways. Take it for what it’s worth.