Foreign college degree

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum so allow me to quickly introduce myself. I am 28, currently working as an Engineer for a major US corporation in Atlanta. I have been flying on and off for about 15 years and finally decided to make the move towards a career change. I currently hold a PPL with Instrument Rating and have my Commercial checkride scheduled at the end of July. I am planning on getting my CFI in the Fall and start instructing full time by the end of this year.

My question was regarding 4-year college degrees that most Major and Legacy carriers require. I grew up in France and got a Masters degree in Aerospace Engineering before I moved to the US. I have been wondering for a while if airlines would have any issues with me having a foreign degree, and if my application would not be viewed at the same level as someone who got a Bachelor’s or Masters from a US university.

Have you heard of or even worked with anyone who was in this situation?

Any thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all you do on this board, and for everything you are willing to share with the community.

Thanks,
Antoine

Antoine,

I know many pilots who were educated outside of the US. As long as it’s a legitimate university that can be verified you’ll have no issue.

You don’t mention your status but hopefully you’re aware that to fly professionally in the US you need to either be a citizen or have permanent resident status.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

Thanks for the quick reply! That is reassuring. I know some airlines (Delta for instance) may require the foreign degree to be verified and in some cases translated to a US equivalent but wasn’t sure how common that is.

Yes, I am aware of the work authorization requirement and am a legal permanent resident (green card).

Antoine

Antoine,

As long as your degree is comparable to a US degree, which I assume it is, you should be perfectly fine. I wouldn’t worry about it. Just make sure to have a copy of your transcript should any questions come up.

Chris

1 Like

Sounds good. Thanks very much, Chris.

Antoine