Furloughs

I have talked to several people about what it is like to when you become a pilot and they always say that they love doing their job. The only thing that they constantly worry about is being furloughed. Is this a common thing among pilots? Especially first officers? I guess my biggest worry would be to go through this program, obtaining a large amount of debt, and then three years later in my career be furloughed. Does anyone else worry about this? Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Reid,

Things are probably the best they’ve been in decades (if not ever) in the airline industry. The airlines are making money, they’re hiring like crazy and pilots are getting paid. BUT I don’t know a single pilot who hasn’t worried about the possibility of the furlough. The reality is this industry can literally change in a moment. While pilots getting furloughed was the least of the tragedy when we talk about 9/11, the attacks on that day devastated the industry and it took years to recover.

To that I offer 2 words of advice. First, there’s no sense in worrying cause there’s nothing you can do. The fact is more pilots lose their jobs do to medical issues, bad behavior (DUI), or poor judgment than they do to furlough. Second the best protection you have to getting furloughed is my favorite catch-all answer SENIORITY. When furloughs come they start at the bottom and the further you are from the bottom the further you are from furlough. Every time a new pilot gets hired that’s one more head that gets chopped before yours. So get crackin’!

Adam

Reid,

In my first two years at Continental, I was worried about being furloughed (this was 2008). I never was and the financial storm passed. Since then the airline has been growing and it has not been a concern of mine.

Furloughs are always a possibility when an airline shrinks, but the same is true of any profession. I have known many business executives to get laid off when their company shrinks.

I wouldn’t worry about this any more in the aviation field than I would in any other.

Chris

So if there is a furlough who is more safe? The 50% seniority captain who has been with the company 10 yrs or the 16yr FO who hasn’t upgraded because he enjoys his QOL? Do airlines just bump lower seniority captains back down to FO?

Tre,

There’s aircraft and seat seniority and then there’s system seniority which is your seniority with the airline. In the event of a furlough your aircraft or seat doesn’t matter, it’s your seniority with the company. Period. Capt or FO, 737 or 787, last guy hired goes first. And yes often downgrades accompany furloughs.

Adam

Tre,

The airlines furlough strictly in reverse seniority order. It doesn’t matter what the pilot has chosen to bid, the overall seniority is all that matters.

Chris

Okay! Thank you for the information guys! I really appreciate it!

Anytime :slight_smile:

Hey Mentors! I have a quick question about furloughs. Let’s say you got furloughed. But there is a chance your airline might come back. But you don’t know when. So you go and find a job at another airline, cause you need to pay your bills. So the question is, if your original airline comes back, will they accept you back at the same seniority and position or will you start from the bottom again, because you worked for another airline? Thank you very much

Good question. Each airline has slightly different contracts, but the general rule is that you will have the opportunity to return to your original airline and will return with your original seniority. Keep in mind though that the original seniority date will only help in terms of pay as clearly pilots returning from furlough will be at the bottom of the pilot lists until more furloughees return or new pilots are hired.

Chris

So, you get your pay back but your schedule is going to be bad for some time? Correct?

Yes, that is correct.

Thanks!

Nugzari,

Think about it. Airlines furlough from the bottom up . Chances are if you got furloughed you didn’t have much seniority or that great schedule in the first place. Also know that many airlines won’t hire furloughed pilots because they know you’ll jump ship when you get called back.

Adam

Thank you, Adam, for the that. Something to consider. By the way, does it happen that airline furloughs all its pilots? Or some stay? I understand that if the company ceases to exist than everyone loses the job but if not, like for example, the company filled for bankruptcy, does it still operate, maybe on a smaller scale until it rebuilds? In that case, i guess most senior pilots stay, am I right?

Nugzari,

If an airline furloughs all it’s pilots then they obviously cease to do business and it’s time to look for another job. I’m not an expert in bankruptcy law nor as a pilot does that concern me. Many airlines have gone through bankruptcy, some survive, some don’t.

Adam