Getting a masters

Hi, so I am planning to get a bachelors degree before atp, and after I get to the regionals, I plan to get a master’s degree online while on the regionals. Would it be a advantage when I apply to majors, considering I have no criminal records, checkride busts, and in a good standard? Or the majors only care about having a 4 year degree?

Brandon,

It won’t help at all unless maybe someone on your interview panel also studied the same subject, which is not a good enough reason to bother. If you want to get a masters for other reasons by all means, but it won’t increase your chances of getting hired. Airlines want qualified experienced pilots.

Tory

Brandon,

I’ve been on interview panels and it won’t help you one bit. Airlines want well trained, experience pilots who can communicate well and seem like the type of individual they wouldn’t mind being locked in a cockpit for 6hrs with. Having a Masters doesn’t check any of those boxes.

Adam

Brandon,

The majors are really only concerned with seeing a Bachelor’s degree. A Masters degree is nice to have, but it really will not do much to advance a career as a pilot. I would focus instead unbuilding flight time and other credentials within aviation.

Chris

Is there any school of study preferred when getting your bachelor’s degree?

Dan,

The short answer is no. The Majors want a degree but really don’t care what the field of study is.

Please visit our FAQ section where we answer this and many other commonly asked questions.

Adam

1 Like

Dan,
No there is no preferred degree. It’s in your best interest to pick something that creates a career backup in case of furloughs in the future. As well as something you enjoy, because it’s still four years of study dedicated to it.

-Hannah

1 Like

Dan,

No. I have known pilots to have degrees in everything from aviation, to business administration, all the way to piano composition. Just get a degree from a reputable school and focus on building your flight time.

Chris